Welcome to the Jester Challenge forum

Sixpence

Visit site
Mountain climbers , pot holers , hang glider pilots and free fall parachutists ? . What about ordinary motorists ? . Look at the safety regs applied to them these days ! . Personally I prefer the old school ways and ignoring the safety prats and go for the idea of the old school ideas of looking after yourself ! .

badman

Visit site
Good for the guys in the Jester Challenge, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif if anyone gets hurt it will be themselves as I am sure they are well a ware. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Life is twice as good after a daring adventure. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
I think I'll be giving it a miss this time /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif with the work underway as per PBO forum I don't think I'll be in the water as soon as I'd hoped /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j0hn

Visit site
Notice to Participating Skippers of JAC 08.

My name is John Llewellin, I live in Pembrokeshire and my boat, ‘Green Jacket’ @ 32’ is over length for the JAC 08.

All I would like to do is follow you all and enjoy the Azores Challenge and when I arrive (If you haven’t all departed!), share a beer or two and swap some stories with like-minded people.

If you have any strong feelings against ‘Green Jacket’ entering the JAC 08 (which I fully understand), please express them on the forum.

If there is a wave against my entry, I will sail directly from Milford Haven, with no hard feelings and withdraw my entry from JAC 08 with regrets.

John

JunkMing

Visit site
John, I can't imagine there'd be any problem at all. Just put your entry in and come along. To be barred,something like 30 skippers would have to say they don't want you in the Challenge. That's not going to happen. There are already bigger boats entered. We hate rules and nitpicking. Go for it.

Roger

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
The non-rules are explicit. The 30' limit is dependant of the size of the foot (like the various tons or gallons). The spirit is more important than the real lenght.
As consequence you may register and, as Mingming, I would be very surprised if anyone had an objection.
Please register!
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Visit site
Great to have another competitor...as long as you are bigger than me! At 20 ft I think I am the smallest boat and therefore should be the slowest. Consequently no other competitor should be in a position to hit me up the a**** err I mean stern! Hope you don't drink all the beer before I get there.

meldrum

Visit site
I am interested in taking part however although my boat is only 30ft loa it has davits and a bowsprit that make it 36ft loa is it still eligible. (It isnt high tech its a 44 year old maurice griffiths water witch. it hasnt got any guard rails or a pulpit either or electronics. and its wood

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Meldrum,

The Jester Challenge has no rules. And although some skippers that have nominated would not welcome a large boat, speaking for myself your boat at 30ft plus bowsprit and bumkin would be more than welcome. Contact Ewen Southby-Tailyour using the JC website and I'm sure you will receive the same answer. There is also a Yahoo Group for Jester Challenge participants and their friends and I'm sure there you would receive the same answer. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jesterchallenge/ You will need to ask to join this group to ask a question however. but that is not very hard and you will not get knocked back.
Our next race leaves on 31 May from Plymouth so you will need to move fast relatively.

scott1

Visit site
Hi folks...just a wee question....would an Elizabethan 31 (1966)..be eligable ??, for 2010 ?,at obviously just over 30 feet. thanks, Chaps.

JunkMing

Visit site
Couldn't imagine there would be any problem at all. There were several 31 footers in the JAC 08. Go for it!

Roger

hinahanta

Visit site
I am new...

I have alot of question, I am hoping to sail in the 2012 race but for sure the 2014, I have been around boats small trimarans monohulls. I am planing on getting a 22' boat soon and get it out fitted for crossing the Atlantic, my first big question is navigation, I will start classes soon for celestrial navigaton, what do you who have crossed the atlantic use, GPS, or less hight tech?

andlauer

Visit site
Re: I am new...

Bonsoir
i had 4 GPS on board. Two were boat batterie dependant and 2 spears were fully independant.
I think that gives a sufficient redundancy to forget any other navigation means.
Offshore a single daily fix is more than sufficient.
Eric

mikechadwick

Visit site
China Blue

Having just completed 2500 crewed miles in my own boat I had the pleasure of meeting Tim Mc Cloy last weekend and spending a couple of hours on China Blue. I was so impressed with the inginuity of design and strength by simplicity of Tims boat that reading the comments of the H & S department is just irritating.
Fair winds to all the entrants and I only wish I had the guts, and a smaller boat, to do it myself.

Neville220

Visit site
;1237391 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the obedience of fools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rules are the products of power-hungry bureacrats who seek to justify their own existence. 'Safety' is usually the excuse used to introduce unpopular restrictive legislation. Car seat belts, ID Cards to combat terrorism - plenty of examples to choose from.

Laws are made by politicians for whom many people have the highest contempt - and we wonder why people don't respect their laws anymore.

"Life - a sexually-transmitted condition with a 100% mortality rate."
Enjoy it while you can.

Colin

Rules are for the GUIDANCE of wise men and the OBEDIENCE of fools, (said by someone wiser than me)