Weight of an outboard - 8hp to 15hp

ontheplane

Visit site
Hi All,

Currently we use an 8hp Yamaha as an auxilliary (mid 90's motor) for the boat and tender.

I have been offered a 15hp Yamaha of a similar vintage. Does anyone know how much heavier it is??

I can lift the 8hp ok, and could manage a couple more kilos - but if it's double then no chance.

Cheers

Wiggo

Visit site
It's likely to be at least 50% heavier at a guess. Usually the 6 and 8 hp models shared a block and the 10 and 15hp ones used the next size up. 8hp was manageable to lift on and off, but I doubt 15 would be so, at least not on a regular basis (I did once lift a 60hp ELPTO Mariner on and off by hand, but that's not something I would repeat voluntarily).

jfm

Visit site
I had the yam 15hp 2 stroke, a 2002/3 model, from 2002-2004 (and since then it's still in the family - it's on my brother's boat). Really nice engine. I had it permanently on the tender so didn't lift it off, but it wasn't tiny and so I'd agree Wiggo's comment that it isn't likely to be an easy lift, at sea. As Wiggo says it uses a bigger block than the 8. I have photos somewhere, - do you want me to put them here so you can see the physical size of it?

ontheplane

Visit site
Yeh this was my thinking too.

The tender is rated to 10hp but as I will put a lower pitch prop on it to use as an auxiliary on the main boat, I figure it would be relatively safe on the tender as long as I don't go daft. The big advantage of the 9.9 & 15 is that they have a thru hub prop and I can fit a piranah plastic prop to it to have a variable pitch.

I've asked the guy to put it on some bathroom scales for me to get the weight but he says he doesn't have any.

Anyone got one of these they can pop on some scales for me to see what it weighs??

My 8hp is a longshaft, this is a s/shaft, so I don't know if that makes a lot of weight difference?

Thanks all

jfm

Visit site
Here are the pics (from summer 2003!)...

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0248.jpg

ontheplane

Visit site
I've seen pics Wiggo thanks.

I will probably leave it on the tender 90% of the time as we tow the tender as it's a bit big for the swim platform so we tend to go most places at displacement speeds.

My concern is that if we do a long passage I want to be able to put the o/b on the swim platform and the tender on the bow - and although I wouldn't be trying that at sea - it does potentially seem a bit heavy for the lift

Mind you the 8hp l/shaft isn't light either, and it's all about technique. Perhaps I could rig up some sort of temporary winch/lift to haul it onboard - however if it's 50% heavier as suggested then I think it would just be too heavy for the relatively flimsy swim platform not to mention the weight all going over to one side of the boat.

Wiggo

Visit site
It's difficult to be exact as all the small stuff is 4 stroke now, but for example:

Tohatsu 4/5/6hp - 25kg
Tohatsu 8/9.8 hp - 37kg
Tohatsu 15hp - 52kg

So a 50% weight increase sounds to be in the right ballpark. Depending on the boat, you could rig up an outboard lift:

http://www.force4.co.uk/563/Force-4-Stowable-Outboard-Engine-Davit.html

That would certainly get the thing on and off...

ontheplane

Visit site
I could make something like that up quite easily.

If I made it nice, it might be a better way to store the thing as well as I could keep it in the middle and further forward than it hanging off the swim platform.

One of the reasons I don't want a 4stroke is the extra weight, plus they are harder to lie down.

I'd love one of the Tohatsu 9.8 2 strokes - apparently they were about 26kg and 10hp - that would be perfect!

The 15hp you've put in the pics is a newer model than I am looking at - how do I post a pic of it here??

Thanks

ontheplane

Visit site
Guy has just come back to me.

It's 5stone - which I make 31KG

That doesn't sound impossible to manage. I will weigh the 8hp tonight, but I reckon that's do-able as the new 4strokes are coming in around that for an 8hp!

jfm

Visit site
put the pic somewhere on the web (like photobucket). Then get the url of the pic and paste it into your post, with [image*] or [IMG*] before the url and [/image*] after it, only without the asterisks (I'm only typing the asterisks here in this post to avoid confusing the server)

Photobucket will add the tags automatically if you wish - it's intuitive on their website

If you start to make a reply to my picture post above using the "quote" button, you'll see how the post is typed.
Make sure you pics are 800x600 or smaller, or you will stretch this whole thread off to the right which will spoil it

rallyveteran

Visit site
Weights are here 8hp 27kg, 15 hp 36kg.
I've got a 15 hp and use a hoist to get it on and off the dinghy, so that I don't drop it in the drink, but I can manhandle it ashore as long as I don't need to take it too far.
I'm in Guernsey right now and had someone pick it up for service and was pleased he came at high tide /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

npf1

Visit site
if you're after a Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke, PM me as there's another forumite that has one in his garage and was thinking of selling it.

ontheplane

Visit site
Also,

If you run mainly in salt water, and it's not always possible to run through with fresh, is there anything I can add to the fresh water when I can run it in a tank that will help dissolve any residue salt??

Thanks

DoubleVision

Visit site
I have a Mercury XR10 which is really a 15. Just put it on the bathroom scales and its 30KG. I`m very pleased with it as its not too heavy to handle and boy has it got some grunt!

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know the weight of the Tohatsu's?? I heard they were light for the power output.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke is 26kg. Best in class power to weight (but hard to find, and pricey, for that reason).

Cheers
Jimmy