Weather for the cruise

duncan

Visit site
This being my first channel crossing, I am watching the weather. I really need it to settle.
At what point do you decide whether it's a go, or not please? Thanks. Alan

There isn't a go call as such on the event as far as I know, and there were F7's hard on the nose both ways one year!

If your mean in respect of your trip - this will be entirely the skipper's call based on craft and crew capabilities (the later including much more than just competence).

In my case this could be as late as 5 miles clear of Durlston Head (at which point I can assess the full impact of any SW-W winds) or even 15 miles off one year, in strong N with a forecast for decreasing over the net 48 hours), because we knew we had reached the point where the conditions wouldn't get worse and we could handle what we had - that year we had initially made the call not to go and told Richard S (I think) by text; only to turn up at the same time the text got through! As a small planning motoboat I'm very sensitive to small differences in sea state!

Talbot

Visit site
Two major factors here are size of boat and direction/strength of the wind/waves relative to the course needed to get to the destination.

Sailfree

Visit site
This being my first channel crossing, I am watching the weather. I really need it to settle.

From my description of the event posting:-

"Final decision whether to sail if up to each skipper, no deposit so no loss if weather does turn bad."

Its another reason why the YC is the most popular choice - they do not require a deposit and are more understanding if bad weather causes few to attend.

If its gets marginal for some of the smaller/more tender boats a number of the bigger boats may be able to take on extra crew and appreciate the extra help.

mjcp

Visit site

Not sure who you are going with, nor where you are departing form/to...

I find it can be a good idea to set No-Go criteria before you start to see the long range forecast, that way you don't end up talking your self into something you don't *really* want to do... (not unlike setting a maximum bid limit at an action, and sticking to it!).

e.g. I am reluctant to bob up and down for 20+ hours in light winds (not keen on motoring for 17 hours either!, that's what Mobos are for), nor do I much like going head to wind for hours on end (either light or heavy)... So this Friday would be a No-Go based on the forecast here (light winds that swing through the nose):

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?LEVEL=3&LANG=en&MENU=0&TIME=24&MN=gfs&WIND=g258

However, a postponement of 24 hours sees 20-25 knots on the beam all the way over and 2-2.5m swell, so an upper limit can be handy too*!

*the plan is to crew with ColHel on his 23 footer, thus 2.5m = 1/3 the boat length!

mjcp

Last edited: