Weather exactly the same as last year...

andrewhopkins

Visit site
A Month or so back, the RSYC ran its Nab Tower Double race which i did last year and the weather was exactly the same as this year, F4-5 NW, a bit of sun, a bit of cloud.

Then the boatshow comes and weather is the same as last year, p*&%&g down with rain with the odd nice day.

Then what happened last year ? It blew a gale from October until February and look what is happening this week....

My mother promised me an indian summer but all ive seen is the vegetable Jalfrazi I had last weekend.

Yes, i know, i know, real sailors don't care but I want hot sun for more than one week a year. Its rubbish.

Eudorajab

Visit site
Id go along with most of that apart from the weather being the same bit. If anything its been worse this year than last (at the time an unconcievable occurance) or at least my timing has. As far as "real sailors" not caring about the weather, show me anyone who prefers this summer's weather to say a few whole weeks of uninterrupted good sunny weather with warm 3-4 breezes and absolutely NO accidental diluting of the pm G+T, and ill show you every sailor in the country.

By the way, an old sea dog once told me that good sailors never beat or run. Is that a contradiction or what ???

G

The weather on the South coast this year seemed pretty good to me.

Last year's weather was completely miserable, with the exception of a brief period in August.

Visit site
We gave it up after 28 years...

...of disappointment & waiting half the holiday for the weather to improve to start the annual cruise. We are now in the Med. Flights from Luton by Easyjet are between £12 & £85 depending on notice & time of year. This allows a lot of trips out of the difference between the £4700 we were due to pay for this year on the Hamble and £1233 in Athens, Corfu or Villamoura plus the weather is always (nearly) warm.

Dump the south coast :it sucks. That also goes for the south of France; moorings are very expensive there too.

Steve Cronin

andrewhopkins

Visit site
Very tempting

My co-owners and I have the same idea. We would miss the ad-hoc trip down to the boat on a saturday but i would gladly give that up.

Thinking about Greece or Portugal in 2-3 years time.

Tell us more about exactly where you keep it

How long is flight

How long to get to boat and how (Taxi?)

Overall door to boat time

Any legal/customs/problems you experience ?

lezgar

Visit site
Re: We gave it up after 28 years...

Price of airtickets (will be more expensive?), parking and taxi ... plus
1 hour minimun to arrive to the airport
3 hours waiting for takeoff (new regulations)
3 hours fly
1 hour left the airport
1 hour minimun taxi to the boat

And the same for comeback and all in the weekend (we only have 1 month of holidays and half are for ski)

Visit site
Re: Very tempting

Boat is in Kalamaki Marina Athens (Shame they just moved the airport from next door!)

Flight is 2hrs 45 plus 2hr (new regs) check-in.

Taxi from new airport varies between 38min (record) and 55min

We live in Leicester so we can do Luton in 1hr. So if all works well it is 1hr + 2hr + 2hr 45min + 45min + (say 30min transfers & parking) = 8hrs door to door (was <6 before new regs) On our next trip 26/10 we will leave home at8pm and be on board for breakfast at 6am (Greek time)

When we move to Algarve in a few years this will be much reduced due to shorter distance & our living near East Mids Airport which flies direct to Faro and not require parking as we could get a lift.

No customs problems although this will be first trip under new precautions.

Steve Cronin