We can sail 260 miles and stay in another place - Boris has defended it!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Have you had it or know anyone who has had it, or know anyone who knows anyone else who's had it, or have you just read about it? We've all read about it. No-one I know has known anyone who's had any contact with it. It's just media hype but it's saved them from having to report any other news for the past couple of months.

My sister had it, and I thought it would be the death of her, as she already had multiple health problems, but she somehow survived it, as did my brother-in-law (though they're still not fully recovered).

If you think no other news has been reported you must live a very sheltered life and be un-inquisitive.

sarabande

Visit site
Have you had it or know anyone who has had it, or know anyone who knows anyone else who's had it, or have you just read about it? We've all read about it. No-one I know has known anyone who's had any contact with it. It's just media hype but it's saved them from having to report any other news for the past couple of months.

You must have missed the post on 14 May, where one respected forumite posted that he had lost his daughter to CV19. You may not wish to apologise generally for your highly inaccurate supposition, but you do need to get your head out of the sand even look at some of the dreadful video of what is happening in hospitals and care homes. CV is real, it is out there next door to you.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
So what is to stop us all ignoring all of the rules and starting up our normal lives, visiting family, going to parties, visiting sick relatives and all the other things that we were told were banned?

Either we are all on it together, or it is every man for himself and the devil takes the hindmost.

Ed spooling
The rules include the option to do something different to the specific rules, should the individual circumstances dictate that divergence from the rules is supported by a reasonable excuse, such as circumstances where leaving home is required to care for a vulnerable person. A vulnerable person could. quite reasonably, include a 4 year old child and that could, therefore, justify leaving home.

Whether, in the circumstances of an individual case, travel from home is justified under the rules, is a different matter and people have obviously come to different opinions, but what is unarguable is that Cummings decision was not automatically in defiance of the previous rules. :)

Richard

chriss999

sailing-chinee.com
AAA79DA5-D1D5-4337-835C-961D6821DB2A.jpegAAA79DA5-D1D5-4337-835C-961D6821DB2A.jpegA 260 mile journey was clearly against the rules that we all followed, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
There is a strong case for arguing that support for the 4 year old was available in London and therefore a 260 mile journey was not necessary to keep the child safe and that the extenuating circumstances didn’t exist.
Given the public nature of the issue, Cummings (or probably Johnson) needs to demonstrate publicly that there was no safe alternative to the journey on 27/29 March. And also that no other rules were broken.
If Cummings and Wakefield were spotted out on other occasions, including a possible birthday trip to Barnard Castle to view the bluebells, that also needs to be addressed. Personally I wonder whether the number plate discovery will make that impossible.
Even the daily mail is against Johnson and Cummings on this one.
Richard I suspect that your triumph will be short-lived. This doesn’t seem to be going away.

Dutch01527

Visit site
This might help to inform the debate - a official view of the law relating to the Cummings case written by a well respected barrister from a leading set of chambers - Did Dominic Cummings act "Responsibly and Legally"? (via Passle) .

Conclusion is equivocal. Cummings broke both the letter and spirit of the law.

I think that Boris and his cronies underestimate the true nature of the british people’s character and will pay the price for that arrogance. There has been a stoic acceptance of lots of personal pain for the greater good during lockdown but this cuts right through any pretence of equality or fair play and that is not acceptable.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
View attachment 90987View attachment 90987A 260 mile journey was clearly against the rules that we all followed, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
There is a strong case for arguing that support for the 4 year old was available in London and therefore a 260 mile journey was not necessary to keep the child safe and that the extenuating circumstances didn’t exist.
Given the public nature of the issue, Cummings (or probably Johnson) needs to demonstrate publicly that there was no safe alternative to the journey on 27/29 March. And also that no other rules were broken.
If Cummings and Wakefield were spotted out on other occasions, including a possible birthday trip to Barnard Castle to view the bluebells, that also needs to be addressed. Personally I wonder whether the number plate discovery will make that impossible.
Richard I suspect that your triumph will be short-lived. This doesn’t seem to be going away.
I'm not clear why you use the term "my triumph" as all I'm doing is explaining the rules and noting that DC was not automatically in breach of them. As I have said hundreds of times during my long career, it all depends upon the particular circumstances applicable at the time.

Posters in The Lounge keeping rattling on about how DC could have asked his family in London to look after their child. However, I can easily think of half a dozen reasons why that option might, very reasonably, have been discounted by DC and his Wife and why none of these reasons would ever be appropriate to be placed in the public domain.

Richard

MJWF

Visit site
The rules include the option to do something different to the specific rules, should the individual circumstances dictate that divergence from the rules is supported by a reasonable excuse

So that would mean that staying overnight in your own boat, respecting social distancing was ok if it was less risk than driving backwards and forwards. Back to the OP - Marina and Harbours should allow people to overnight as it minimises risk. The law doesn't preclude it and the prime minister has just indicated his acceptance of a free form self assessment of risk when applying the guidance. Im off to the boat now...

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
So that would mean that staying overnight in your own boat, respecting social distancing was ok if it was less risk than driving backwards and forwards. Back to the OP - Marina and Harbours should allow people to overnight as it minimises risk. The law doesn't preclude it and the prime minister has just indicated his acceptance of a free form self assessment of risk when applying the guidance. Im off to the boat now...
It would depend upon whether you had a reasonable justification, under the rules, for leaving your home to go to your boat in the first place.

Richard

[163233]

Visit site
It would depend upon whether you had a reasonable justification, under the rules, for leaving your home to go to your boat in the first place.
It would be nice to hear a courts opinion on it, but they've opted to exempt him entirely from the law through political manoeuvring.

chriss999

sailing-chinee.com
I'm not clear why you use the term "my triumph" as all I'm doing is explaining the rules and noting that DC was not automatically in breach of them. As I have said hundreds of times during my long career, it all depends upon the particular circumstances applicable at the time.

Posters in The Lounge keeping rattling on about how DC could have asked his family in London to look after their child. However, I can easily think of half a dozen reasons why that option might, very reasonably, have been discounted by DC and his Wife and why none of these reasons would ever be appropriate to be placed in the public domain.

Richard

There may or may not be reasonable justification. Maybe we will learn more and maybe barnard castle will become clearer.

But it gives poor foolish boris a conundrum.
Does he ditch Cummings and deprive his talentless administration of its only chance of success?
Or does he keep Cummings and destroy his credibility amongst the Daily Mail readership who gave him his general election triumph?
Or does he try and keep Cummings but then buckle to pressure and thereby get the worst of both options?
This is better than the telly.

actionoptics

www.actionoptics.co.uk

I've had it and it's not nice. Still suffering the after shock/ symptoms although tested negative last week

Kelpie

Visit site

Yes I know someone who had to watch his father die, and could only look through the window. It's absolutely heartbreaking, and there are thousands of instances like this where people have made personal sacrifices in accordance with the law, all the while not knowing that DC was ignoring it.

By the way, my family self isolated for two weeks. Two adults and a 4yr old, so exactly the same as the Cummings. Our neighborhood support group helped to deliver supplies and prescriptions. Not once did it cross my mind that I should travel to stay with my elderly parents.

BJ &DC have badly misjudged the public mood on this, and when even the Daily Hate Mail are no longer backing them, surely this has to be the end?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Or does he keep Cummings and destroy his credibility amongst the Daily Mail readership who gave him his general election triumph?
Keeping Cummings may not be the way to retain the Daily Mail's support ...

UhJqJoR.png

By the way, are there any other Doonesbury fans there? Because there seems to me to be an uncanny similarity between Rasputin

GettyImages-1214798602.jpg

and Uncle Duke, formerly (inter alia) captain of the Trump Princess

Uncleduke.jpg

[159032]

Visit site
This might help to inform the debate - a official view of the law relating to the Cummings case written by a well respected barrister from a leading set of chambers - Did Dominic Cummings act "Responsibly and Legally"? (via Passle) .

Conclusion is equivocal. Cummings broke both the letter and spirit of the law.

I think that Boris and his cronies underestimate the true nature of the british people’s character and will pay the price for that arrogance. There has been a stoic acceptance of lots of personal pain for the greater good during lockdown but this cuts right through any pretence of equality or fair play and that is not acceptable.

Good to see an entirely 'unbiased' view. That is HER conclusion.

Whilst the British Transport Police Deputy Chief Constable expressed surprise that errors (or abuse) by police weren’t caught in the lawyer and District Judge safety net, it can be no surprise to governments – current and past- which have overseen swingeing cuts to legal aid, the court service and the Crown Prosecution Service. Battering the rule of law opens the cracks through which the vulnerable fall.

Whilst the strategy of attempting to argue that Mr. Cummings' conduct was within government guidelines is insulting and distressing to those who have made terrible sacrifices by staying indoors away from family, it also clears the "we're all in this together" smokescreen to reveal a political plane where different rules apply.

She is a QC and this is her opinion which she would argue in Court. The High Court Judge may see otherwise.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
View attachment 90987View attachment 90987A 260 mile journey was clearly against the rules that we all followed, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Well, just listened to DC giving his press conference.

IMHO, he has done enough to get away with it. Not his finest hour, and he said as much.

And getting back to the OP, what a load of bolleux.

Boris did not say we can go sailing 260 miles.

In your dreams..............................................

Biggles Wader

Visit site
My answer to your post is yes. And I know two people who have died, both former work colleagues. And my wife knows another who died. Perhaps you would consider winding your neck in before making an even bigger fool of yourself than you have already.