Wauquiez Centurion 32

Aja

Visit site
Just as an aside, Fiasco of Ashton had a CYCA sail number of 382C which she may well still be sporting.

Donald

Metabarca

Visit site
Hi and welcome to the Centurion club (I suggest you visit http://centurion32.fr if you haven't already). I had to re-engine my C32 and did so with a Volvo D-130, which gives much more oomph. As you are aware, the prop shaft is not central to the boat's axis. At the time, I considered fitting a sail leg rather than prop but was worried about having a big bit of rubber in the hull, but in retrospect I wish I had: my marina is narrow and the Centurion doesn't like going backwards. To fit the Volvo, the engineers sawed off the raised parts of the fibreglass 'rails' and fitted SS brackets for the new one (photos available if you like).
Happy to advise further if necessary!

Zac Claymore

Visit site
Hi Metabarca,

I have checked out the Centurion Website - what a help! Yep, theres no chance i'm fitting a sail drive, no way i want to have the risk of going down that quick if the rubber fails! I'd much rather deal with the tricky manoeuvres. Photos of the new mounts would be great thanks, and you say you had someone fit it, would you mind giving an idea of price so I can shop around (no worries if you don't feel comfortable doing so!).

One thing I would like to know is did you lift the engine out/in using pulleys off the boom?

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Hi Metabarca,

I have checked out the Centurion Website - what a help! Yep, theres no chance i'm fitting a sail drive, no way i want to have the risk of going down that quick if the rubber fails! I'd much rather deal with the tricky manoeuvres. Photos of the new mounts would be great thanks, and you say you had someone fit it, would you mind giving an idea of price so I can shop around (no worries if you don't feel comfortable doing so!).

One thing I would like to know is did you lift the engine out/in using pulleys off the boom?

That is one heavy engine to lift on a boom. Get all the ancillaries off to reduce the size then get the yard crane to lift it, far safer.
Many boats of this era had engines installed prior to the deck being fitted

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
OK thanks for the reply. I'll look into the Beta 25 for now I think. When replacing the engine, did you take off all ancillaries and use a couple of able bodies to hand ball the old out/new in or use a crane?
I don’t know! Lindsey Rufford of Seapower on the Orwell fitted the Beta-satisfied customer(15 years ago though!)

Metabarca

Visit site
Hi Metabarca,

I had the work done about ten years ago by the Volvo Punta agents in Trieste and I'm sure they must have used a crane to lift out the old engine and put in the new. With the engine out, take advantage of the space to put in some really good soundproofing! And while you're at it, improve the thermal insulation for the fridge; there's none in the original boats! And have the exhaust system changed: the original one is no good with the new engine. Engine, mounting and all the work cost me €10,000 ten years ago (in Italy). For some reason, I'm unable to post the photo so please pm me with an email address and I'll send it!

bedouin

Visit site
Any recommendations on the best way to improve the thermal insulation on the "cool box" - it is on my list to do but I am not sure what approach to take. One recommendation is to drill a lot of holes and fill with 2 part foam but I am a little concerned about possible side effects.

Metabarca

Visit site
Any recommendations on the best way to improve the thermal insulation on the "cool box" - it is on my list to do but I am not sure what approach to take. One recommendation is to drill a lot of holes and fill with 2 part foam but I am a little concerned about possible side effects.
There was an article about this on the centurion site – here it is: http://centurion32.fr/forums/topic/groupe-froid-et-isolation-glaciere-sur-nos-c32/ –but yes, the recommendation was that. I have yet to fit my new fridge but hope to do so next month, and that's what I shall try...

Ulysses II

Visit site
You have flushed out another relatively new Centurion 32 owner! I bought Ulysses II in Lymington a couple of years ago and am now keeping her in Whitehaven. She has not disappointed.
The boat had a new Beta 25 installed a few years ago while still on the South Coast - it seems a good match with the boat. The cool box doubles up well as a slow cooker when the engine has been run for an hour or so and is therefore useless for storing food - I have settled for using it as a convenient place to store the electric kettle when off shore power.

Tiemo

Visit site
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate your views on engine refits for the Centurion 32. I'll be looking at one for sale tomorrow (Aug 7th) in San Diego that has a 2006 Yanmar with about 350 hours on it (I believe). I've been hacking around the internet and it seems along the way I read that only specific engines will properly fit into this boat allowing proper alignment of engine, transmission and shaft? What would be a NOT so obvious sign all is not aligned properly? Secondly this particular Centurion is a 1970. I maybe a bit overloaded and misquoting having scoured the webs forums, blogs etc... but one thread involved a contributor mentioning mast compression possibly being a problem on some Centurion 32's and debate followed about cored deck / no cored decks on the boats. How likely is that an issue? What are some of the areas I should be especially keen to look into? I am very hopeful there are no major items with the boats as I really, really like what I have seen and learned so far about their history, beauty, and capabilities. Are there any live aboards on the forum that can share their experience with the boat? Thanks in advance. Tiemo

bedouin

Visit site
There seems to be a few Centurion owners monitoring this thread - here is a link to a question on the Boat Design Forum in the USA, asking where the yard number (I presume he means Hull Identification Number) is located?

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/centurian-32-yard-number-location.62598/

Were European builders using HIN's on the transom in 1973?
As far as I am aware my 1972 centurion does not have an identification number still visible although I have seen photos of other centurions will a little metal plaque with the hull number on it. And many owners do know their hull number so I presume they have one too.

Justin Wood

Visit site
It may have been mentioned elsewhere on these threads but if your boat does not have a small plastic, engraved 'makers plate' in the cockpit well, try taking out the locker unit in the heads compartment behind the wash basin. It was often the case that the boat/hull number was written on the back of this unit in black marker pen! It is there on 'Mayfly' but apparently is not on every Centurion.

Beelzebub

Visit site
I had the privilege of meeting Henri Wauquiez at the Salon Nautique in Paris back in 1986. What a nice guy with a passion for producing boats that would last!