Wauquiez Centurion 32

Judders

Visit site
Looks too good to be true. Great wet locker. Beautiful lines. Not to expensive.

Any thoughts, observations or experiences?

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Said Kid replying! Had a Mark 1, No. 124, for 16 years and have now sold her to my son. Wauquiez made just under 400 of them. A quality job, with very strong hull and a lead keel. Good points: very seaworthy, sails well in all conditions except F3-I dont know about F8 upwards! Will ghost well and with F4-6 and some good sails is quite quick and very dry for a 24ft. waterline boat. Excellent cockpit and navigatorium. Good seaberths and roomy dinette (there was also a version with pilot berths). Good stowage. Roomy forepeak. Easy to get forward. Reasonably roomy heads. Dries out easily and level.
Not so good points: Awkward galley to work because of sloping engine compartment door which restricts foot space. Poor headroom in forepeak. Very short offset propellor shaft can cause P bracket to work loose if engine alignment slightly out. Will steer OK astern once she is moving, but offset propellor means turning circle going forward is much better to starboard than port.
Most owners keep them a very long time, they rarely come up for sale. Met a Dutchmen (82) in Ostende who said " I bought mine new in 74 and have never seen a reason to change her". Met another owner in West Mersea last year who had owned his since 1988. The original Volvo MD2b's are getting a bit long in the tooth now. A German owner told me that his research suggested that only the Beta 28hp. (or the later 25) would fit if re engineing. When I eventually had to change the engine his words turned out to be correct.
For extended cruising for 2 she was ideal, for 3 comfortable and for 4 a bit of a squash. We cruised over 10,000 miles in her and she gave a lot of pleasure.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Vadis

Here is a link to a note I posted on here a couple of years ago about the Centurion 32 'Vadis' and her intrepid crew Jon & Genevieve who sailed from England to New Zealand with their baby daughter Skye (and an extra wee crew member joined them soon after arriving down under).

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110897

Apart from the Kid, Aeolus Jeff of this parish also has a Centurion and his signature mentions the Centurion website - http://users.swing.be/FDB/centurion/index2.html

bumblefish

Visit site
Deck stepped mast.

I believe you have to look out for softening of the core especially around the mast step? I looked at one about 4 years ago and there was extensive core damage around the mast foot.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
I think I am correct in stating that the Mark 1 had a solid GRP deck; I therefore presume that the Mark 2, which was different, deck must have some sandwich construction. Certainly the Mark 1 has a substantial mast support post through the saloon to the front of ther hog.

bedouin

Visit site
I believe you have to look out for softening of the core especially around the mast step? I looked at one about 4 years ago and there was extensive core damage around the mast foot.
That sounds a bit strange - I am not aware of any Centurions having a core. I sail a late 1972 one and she certainly does not have a cored deck. Mine and all others I know of have a substantial support leading down to the keel - no possibility of any problems with that.

As others have said she is a very well built boat, even by the standards of the day and certainly compared to modern boats. She sails very well - especially in stronger winds. I have sailed her singled handed in F8/9 and always felt very confident - the more it blows the happier she seems to be. However she does have a tendency to be rather wet going to windward in >F6, particularly in rough seas.

The sail plan is a typical IOR style - with a tiny main and (potentially) a large 150% Genoa. As such the headsail is more important than the main in terms of

The original MD2Bs are good engines, although having only two cylinders it is rough in comparison with a newer 3 cylinder. However they are very robust and will last almost indefinitely if properly maintained. I have just had mine out of the boat to give it a thorough clean and paint and the engineer reckons it is good for another 10-15 years yet.

The offset prop can be challenging in reverse if it still has the original 2 bladed prop. I replaced mine with a 3 blade folding Gori and that transformed the handling in reverse.

Accommodation works very well, especially at sea/underway, but is very restricted by modern standards. In particular the forepeak has restricted space for an adult - particularly if the "V" section is used that converts it to a double, but great for young children. She works very well with 4 on board but would be cramped with more than that for any period of time. I have also never quite got to grips with stowage, all the lockers seem to be odd shapes!

As a sailing boat for 2-4 people you could hardly ask for better. We've owned Bedouin for 10 years and have no plans to change. If you want a floating caravan to motor between marinas then look elsewhere.

Jeff / Aeolus IV also sails a Centurion but I think his is up for sale now.

doug748

Visit site
The blurb on the site says:
PONT
Le pont sort en une pièce de polyester stratifié pour être boulonné et collé sur la coque.
.....So, er there we are.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Here is an old advertisement I found from 1973 - the Centurions have had an excellent racing record, and I guess they should still have a pretty good rating today with age allowance (?)

Centurionad1971.jpg

bedouin

Visit site
One of the distinguishing features of the Centurion 32 was that for many years they used to compete in a "One Class" class in the Cape to Rio race (I know they did up until 2000, not sure if they still do). Their course record for the 3600 mile crossing is about 26 days - so averaging 140 miles a day - not bad for 24' LWL :)

The Centurions have virtually identical measurements to the Contessa 32 and so rate very similarly (the last IRC TCF I had was about 0.850). They can still be competitive on rating these days but much depends on the course and the weather. In my view they can compete on equal terms to windward, especially in heavy weather, when compared with a modern boat, but are less competitive on a run.

Of course their design (as with the Contessa) is very much a reaction to the old IOR rules, so the short LWL, small main and large overlapping Genoa all led to a very competitive rating when she was designed. The IRC is not so kind to those particular design features so for example Aeolus with her 100% jib gets a more competitive rating than Bedouin with the 145% Genoa, with the small advantage of the larger sail seeming to be more than compensated for with the better TCF

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Not frequenting these forums so often these days

... I'm probably a little late to chip in my 2p worth.

Main differences I have seen between mk1 and mk 2 is the layout of the cockpit and possibly some of the internal fitting out. Mk1 seems to have main sheet across middle of the cockpit to end of boom, Mk2 has it just aft of the companionway and to a point about 18" in from the end of the boom. Obviously this had an impact on the cockpit lockers.

Aeolus is a Mk2 1973 model - I've not found any evidence of GRP with a "core" of any sort. However the gap between the headlining and the deck moulding is foam filled. Not sure if this is standard.

It does seem that they "stick" to an ownership for a long time. The previous owner of Aeolus was Dutch and had her for about 25 years before passing away, which seems to be a common trend amongst the few other Centurion 32 owners I have met over the years (the long ownership, not the death bit!)

Anyway, a rather cheeky post in one sense, Aeolus is for sale. Any one interested?

http://marinedirectory.ybw.com/boat/new/boat_details1.jsp?id=46279&curr_id=1

Regards,
Jeff.

ODeclav

Visit site
Hi,
Looking forward to replace my 2 bladed prop by the 3 blade folding Gori.
Are you still using the MD2B with the Gori ? Can you drop me the model used ?
15" or 16" ? pitch ?

macd

Visit site
ODeclav: this thread is seven years old. Luckily for you the original poster, Judders, is still active on the forums, although he seems mainly to confine himself to the Yacht Racing forum. You might be better dropping him a PM (private message) with your query.

And welcome to the forum. Assuming you have a Centurion 32: good boat :encouragement:

Metabarca

Visit site
Hi, I've got a Centurion, on which I've been doing some work. She was re-engined with a Volvo D1-30. I chose the Volvo because this appeared to be the only manufacturer offering a gearbox that was left-handed rather than right (does that make sense), which helps offset the problems associated with having the propshaft sticking out at an angle. Other owners had sail drives fitted to do away with this problem altogether. If you have a Centurion, I invite you to join the owners' forum (mainly in French) as everyone there is very helpful and can surely answer your query. Here's the link:
http://centurion32.fr

Dugantone

Visit site
Hi,
Looking forward to replace my 2 bladed prop by the 3 blade folding Gori.
Are you still using the MD2B with the Gori ? Can you drop me the model used ?
15" or 16" ? pitch ?[/QUOT

Hello. I repowered my centurion w a universal m 25xp
I need to change my prop ( right hand )
What size and pitch ( 2 blade ) are u using on your boat

Judders

Visit site
ODeclav: this thread is seven years old. Luckily for you the original poster, Judders, is still active on the forums, although he seems mainly to confine himself to the Yacht Racing forum. You might be better dropping him a PM (private message) with your query.

And welcome to the forum. Assuming you have a Centurion 32: good boat :encouragement:

Although I did eventually get my hands on a Centurion, through the then SWMBO's father, I am yet to get one of my own sadly. It's on the bucket list for the future and I firmly believe that it is the best design for the racing that I do but at the moment it's a wee bit out of the budget still so I'll stick with the Impala for now.

As it goes, when I did sail Phoebe, she was one of the very best boats I ever sailed. Very quick upwind, a good seaboat and very comfortable.