Water pump temporary solution?

dgadee

Visit site
My Yanmar 3Gm30AE (600 hours) has a leaking water pump and I'm not sure whether it will last till I can get to a location where I can sort/replace. I am a bit worried about failure of bearings.

Could I plumb in an electric bilge pump in case of pump failure, do you think?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I take it it's the sea water pump , when you say it's leaking water , do you mean from the small hole under them pump ?
If so that's will be the seal , seal have been know to leak for a very long time without any real problem other then water dripping on part of the engine ,
I was only speaking to the owner of my last boat the other week who for most of this season has been complaining about water that keep appearing now it turn out it his sea water pump.

I personally have not knew one to have complete failure , keep an eye on it and get it repair as soon as you can and wipe away and sea water that end up on the engine .

I guess putting an ele pump you could end up flooding your engine .

Maybe someone has more to say on this .

dgadee

Visit site
Thanks for that. There is some rust colour under the pump (yes, the raw water pump) so I fear a bearing is about to go.

I towed a yacht into harbour last season whose pump had gone. I should have taken the hint and got myself a spare.

In Strait of Messina waiting for medicane to pass. May be possible to sort bearings and seals here.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks for that. There is some rust colour under the pump (yes, the raw water pump) so I fear a bearing is about to go.

I towed a yacht into harbour last season whose pump had gone. I should have taken the hint and got myself a spare.

In Strait of Messina waiting for medicane to pass. May be possible to sort bearings and seals here.
[/QU
If your heading south toward Siracusa we be here in a few day and I sure I have seals on board if that's any help .

sailaboutvic

Visit site

If your heading south to siracusa, we be there in a few day and I'm sure I have seals on board .

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Leaving the pump to stand will cause the bearings to corrode badly. I have run the same pump with leaking seals for some time, only when I left it stationary for a few days did the bearings seize. Keep turning it over regularly until you can replace them.

scottie

Visit site
One danger of leaving a leak unattended is that the tell tale becomes blocked with salt crud and the leaking water bypasses the OIL seal which is sealing against the other direction and the engine get a does of water which will do it no end of nastiness

Charlie Boy

Visit site
One danger of leaving a leak unattended is that the tell tale becomes blocked with salt crud and the leaking water bypasses the OIL seal which is sealing against the other direction and the engine get a does of water which will do it no end of nastiness

Looking at the images online and in the video, that’s a belt driven pump ie no direct drive from the engine so I can’t see a way that seawater can enter the engine.

dgadee

Visit site
Well, I looked again at pump. Very brown constant drip so decided to have replacement sent out from ASAP. Should be here Monday (fingers crossed). Parts4Engines had a cheaper one but don't do hosetails(!).

So Reggio Calabre for a few days.

scottie

Visit site
Looking at the images online and in the video, that’s a belt driven pump ie no direct drive from the engine so I can’t see a way that seawater can enter the engine.
You are indeed correct and I did not check the information already posted
The slotted housing would not lend itself to blocking as would an engine mounted pump with a small telltale