Water in power steering reservoir Volvo penta D6 370 DPH

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hello. The power steering oil in the in the power steering reservoir for a Volvo Penta D6 370 DPH has emulsified due to water ingress, a visual inspection of the steering rams didn’t reveal anything obvious. Does anyone have any ideas as to the most likely cause of the problem. Cheers Gary.
Yes the ram seals have failed , the gators don’t stop limescale build up .
You need to flush the system and fit new rams .

GaryAH

Visit site
Check the hydraulic hoses also, these have had 3 upgrades due to persistent failure, in fact Volvo have had endless problems with rams and hoses and trim cylinder hoses, lost count of how many I have replaced on recalls and under warranty. Also make sure the engineer flushes the entire system as the contaminated oil if left in the system can damage the shuttle valve mounted on the transom at the back of the engine and hard to get to, the piston rusts and then your helm steering doesn’t operate the valve which controls the pressurised oil from the servo pump.
Thank you, that’s really good advice.. I’ve read somewhere that if the shuttle valve fails it may mean engine would need moving to gain access, is that the case.. Cheers Gary

spannerman

Visit site
Thank you, that’s really good advice.. I’ve read somewhere that if the shuttle valve fails it may mean engine would need moving to gain access, is that the case.. Cheers Gary
It depends on the boat and how much room there is back there