Water in Balearics

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I am on my way to the Balearic Islands for the first time.
Pretty shocked by the marina prices which seem to be €200-€300 per night. This makes me think I will be almost exclusively at anchor.
Does anyone have any advice on where/how to fill up with water. We don't have a water maker.

Do the marinas allow you to get water (for price) at the fuel bays?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
My memory is a bit fuzzy about our 2015 cruise. We spent every night at anchor and I do remember a few spots where we could simply fill cans with water every time we went ashore. I do remember not being very impressed and most of the more obvious food spots were the "all day breakfast" type. We did find a few good spots and can pm some details if it would help (though things will have changed in 6 years).

I do remember asking one marina about prices and they were only just eye-watering. However, they pointed out that I was looking at the wrong berths and only using my boat's beam. I was in the next price range because "you must add the width of 2 fenders to the width of the boat". Fenders take up space. I pointed out that everyone had fenders on either side and it would be reasonable to count 1 fender width or half of 2 fender widths. This was rejected as it would put me back in the lower price range. :D

We declined their offer and left the half-full marina.

Last edited:

Yngmar

Visit site
We filled up water at Santa Ponsa (fuel dock) and Cala Addaia (temporary pontoon when it's free). Both with coin operated hose, so bring plenty of 1 Euro coins. Wasn't expensive, 4-5 EUR filled our tanks and a couple more washed the salt off the boat at Addaia.

No need to go into a marina, although it's worth signing up to the PortsIB site (must pre-register boat papers) where you can dock on a town quay for around €40 a night, but must pre-book or hope you get lucky if someone else didn't claim their reserved berth by 18:00.

Goldie

Visit site
We’ve been cruising the Balearics for the last 6 weeks and whilst we generally prefer to anchor, we have enquired about berths on 3 occasions and the standard response is ‘try again in September’. I suspect that marinas will allow you to fill tanks for a fee (we haven’t needed to) and certainly recommend Addaia as posted before me. Be warned though, the islands are VERY busy and the popular anchorages, particularly if near boat rental places, are noisy bedlam especially at weekends.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
We’ve been cruising the Balearics for the last 6 weeks and whilst we generally prefer to anchor, we have enquired about berths on 3 occasions and the standard response is ‘try again in September’. I suspect that marinas will allow you to fill tanks for a fee (we haven’t needed to) and certainly recommend Addaia as posted before me. Be warned though, the islands are VERY busy and the popular anchorages, particularly if near boat rental places, are noisy bedlam especially at weekends.

Any recommendations for anchorages in Ibiza and Formentera that don't have 100+ yachts in them ? we plan to cross from Denia again mid Sept

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We filled up water at Santa Ponsa (fuel dock) and Cala Addaia (temporary pontoon when it's free). Both with coin operated hose, so bring plenty of 1 Euro coins. Wasn't expensive, 4-5 EUR filled our tanks and a couple more washed the salt off the boat at Addaia.

No need to go into a marina, although it's worth signing up to the PortsIB site (must pre-register boat papers) where you can dock on a town quay for around €40 a night, but must pre-book or hope you get lucky if someone else didn't claim their reserved berth by 18:00.
Brought back memories. Santa Ponza had the best restaurant but you'd never find it without directions. The water pump at Addaya was a bit erratic and either gave loads or not a lot. Useful stop, nothing much ashore but sheltered.

We had wind, rain and lightning one night in Addaya with nothing forecast at all. Lightning with no warning and the light wind started to rise. We had a suspicion something wasn't right and were still tying stuff down when the wind and rain hit. I just had time to get the engine on when it jumped to 50kts and boats began to drag past on either side. I had to motor forward to escape being squeezed between 2 large boats swinging in on either side. I also had to swing sharply to starboard and then port when lighting showed I was about to run down a guy in a dingy. We were the only boat with nav. lights. Wind died for a few seconds changed direction by 140 deg. and then switched on again for about 30 seconds before becoming calm.

I ended up level with a small yacht and we were facing in opposite directions. Owner appeared in the cockpit and was very puzzled that our cockpits were level but boats pointing in opposite directions. He asked if our anchor had dragged and I said no but almost everyone else's had. :D:D.

A large wooden boat spent the night stuck across a line of moored boats. His long bowsprit was a very handy boarding point for skipper of a moored boat to come to his aid. I had forgotten about this fun night until you mentioned Addaya.

jim5099

Visit site
We have just returned from a nearly 2 week tour of Majorca. For our 10.8m yacht, our max was 75€ per night and lowest was 43€. The IB marinas are typically half the cost of the commercial marinas. All included water and electric. Availability was good, we usually only booked 1 day ahead and noted many free spaces. Its likely that this year is probably exceptional with lower numbers. September definitely already much quieter with school vacations over.

dgadee

Visit site
I seem to remember that you can go into the IB marinas just to fill up and then leave. Obviously at quiet times. Cost was relatively low.

Goldie

Visit site
Any recommendations for anchorages in Ibiza and Formentera that don't have 100+ yachts in them ? we plan to cross from Denia again mid Sept

Very few sadly! I hope it will be getting quieter but we had so many nights spoiled by (mainly chartered) boats playing very loud music into the early hours. We did however have quiet nights in Cala Blanca and on the W. side of the large bay just S. of the airport. Aircraft noise overnight was not intrusive.

IB marinas have been mentioned but we had no joy. I suspect boats <12m may have fared better, we’re 12.06….. ?.

Contest1

Visit site
I am on my way to the Balearic Islands for the first time.
Pretty shocked by the marina prices which seem to be €200-€300 per night. This makes me think I will be almost exclusively at anchor.
Does anyone have any advice on where/how to fill up with water. We don't have a water maker.

Do the marinas allow you to get water (for price) at the fuel bays?
I was in Ibiza and Formentera Late June, early July. Anchored 6 nights, without any problems. 2 nights in Formentera port, €140 x2 for 9mts. San Antonio Bay was busy but plenty of space to anchor near the port. Also plenty of coves. We toped up our water on a lunch time stop in San Antonio Port. Paid €14 for an hour, we stayed 3. No problem encountered with loud music at night.. Stayed on the West side of both Islands and really enjoyed ourselves.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
We just got back from the boat. Managed to cross over to Ibiza for 4 days (2 nights Club Nautic San Antoni and 2 nights at anchor) before looming weather forced us to cross back. Amazing trip though and nothing went wrong this time. Even had dolphins at the bow for 10 minutes which really made the trip for us all onboard

MAURICE

Visit site
Ibiza is now quite strict about the grass. All the boats are being corralled into fewer and fewer bays. I spent 5 days in Cala Xucla which is next to Portinax.. Very comfy and a little ride in the dingy into Portinax. Its a shame they dont have govt. laid out bouys which you could pick up in all the bays.