Watchet..... again.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
It seems like they've taken notice that it's starting to affect tourism in the town and therefore businesses. Once it starts hurting tax that's when councils start taking notice.

Sneds

Visit site
I read that the council were looking to take the lease back from the operator due to their breach of lease ie failing to maintain
As "Lumi" said earlier, councils become interested when tax revenue starts drying up as a result of empty shops and pubs
No disrespect but the only thing going for the town is the marina (OK, and the train!)

longjohnsilver

Visit site
A good friend of mine lived in Watchet for about 40 years, until the mid 90s. Every year a bulldozer would be employed to clear the mud from the harbour. It was the only way of keeping it clear. He was rightly amused by the prospect of a marina in which no bulldozer could work. It was a recipe for a never ending muddy puddle, exactly the way it seems to have turned out.

I spent many happy days and evenings in Watchet, it had a great community feel about the place. Sad to hear that it’s in decline. I’ve not been back for 20 odd years.

38mess

Visit site
Shame about watchet. We called in about 20 years ago. Lovely pubs and restaurants if I remember. Let's hope something can be done, but reading the recent history it seems a lot of money needs to be spent.