Wanted: info on Taylor 066 cabin heater

katsbuddingh

Visit site
Recenctly I've acquired a very beautiful 1959 sailing sloop, with a Taylor model 066 cabin heater. This heater however is not connected to any kind of fuel tank, nor is there any kind of information (user manual nor installation manual).
Is there anyone who can help me with information, drawings, manuals or even a hand-written note with some clues that will help me get the thing operating again?
Many thanks in advance for any kind of help.

harvey

Visit site
Can you give us a picture? My Taylors heater must be about that vintage and has a separate pressurised tank. I'm trying to sort it out now but it sounds as though I have more bits than you do!
John

katsbuddingh

Visit site
John,

It's really an old style cylindrical shape.
I do have a picture (.jpg), but unfortunately don't know how to add that picture to this message...
Maybe I could e-mail it to you separately?

katsbuddingh

Visit site
Hi
tn_Taylor066.jpg
Old_Salt,
This seems to work allright (thanks!)
So here's a picture of the heater...

old_salt

Visit site
Hi Theo_Kats.
First let me welcome you to the YBW forums My apologies for not doing it sooner it the done thing on here for a regular replying to a newbie to welcome them.
I am glad you got the hang of the pics it's not so difficult once you have tried and you can check it works before you finally summit your post just hit the link and then kill the new page and you return to the original one for final summit.
May be harvey can help now.
I am not to up on this type of heater.
I see you are from the Netherlands I have sailed the Ijsselmeer a number of times and throughly enjoyed it.
Cheers old_salt.

Gordonmc

Visit site
It may be your heater was designed to burn diesel using a drip-feed system similar to the Reflex. The parafin heaters have a seperate pressurised tank and the diesels could take their supply direct from the main engine fuel bunker.
The gizmo on the left hand side looks like the drip control. Most of the Taylors are flat fronted and I havn't seen a cylindrical Taylors before. The current diesel model is the 078D and you might learn more from the Blakes Lavac Taylor website. At least you will get an idea of the internal workings of a diesel burner as opposed to a pressurised paraffin model.
It looks good, though and worth finding out about.

harvey

Visit site
Hi Theo,
Further to my pm of last night, mine is the Taylors 065 model. Definitely paraffin. I have taken a couple of photos of the tank and if you pm me with your e-mail I'll send them to you.
You can find the message I sent you by looking at the front page of all the Forums and you should see a flashing red and white (I think!) icon somewhere near the top. If you click on that, it'll produce your message box.
Pip Pip
John

katsbuddingh

Visit site
Another little mystery solved: Jackie Crosby from Blakes Lavac Taylor was able to tell me that the 065 is the paraffin model, and the 066 (mine..) is indeed a diesel one that doesn't need the separate pressure tank and other bits. (Sorry Old_Salt...)
Unfortunately she wasn't able to send me an electronic copy of a manual of this type, nor from its successor the 079D.
So my next question for help is... does anyone have a (scanned) copy of the installation and operation manual for a model 066 or 078/079D?

Stephen Hollinshead

Visit site
Hi Kats
Yes I just bought a 066 myself.....
It's not a pressurised unit, it's drip fed from a tank positioned above the heater.
You need a tank (for Kerosene), a on/off valve, a fuel feed regulator, and a filter.
The 079D units use all 3/16" fittings and copper pipe so this may be the same.
Your unit may already have the regulator on the front.
Of course you also need a flue, through deck fitting and chimney.
All these bits are available from Sparesmarine.co.uk, but are wildly expensive.
You can source generic bits if you look.
You can download a Taylors 079D users manual if you google it.
Check my video onYoutube:-
to get an idea of how these things work.
Good Luck! heater