Wanted: Any info on 'Girl Pat' type boats please

VPB

Visit site
Hello,
I'm a newbie here and am researching my late father's early life. When he was 17 in 1946 he was an apprentice carpenter at John Morris & Co (Gosport) and was involved in building a 'Girl Pat' type boat, a 35 footer later to be named 'Fanfare'. He left a note in the cabin trunking which was found some 20 years later and the then owner wrote to him from Guernsey returning the note. I think I know what the 'Girl Pat' type boats look like but unfortunately I have not been able to source any actual photographs as yet. On this forum some 11 years there was a brief discussion on these boats and even some web links which are now sadly defunct. Does anyone have a photo, or any details, of a 'Girl Pat' boat or even better of the actual 'Fanfare' that my father worked on? I would be very grateful for any assistance given.
Many thanks in advance.
Best regards
Vince Barnard

VPB

Visit site
Hi Graham,
Thank you so very much for finding this. All my searches were completely fruitless but this is amazing. I'm very tempted to make an appointment now...
It's incredible to think that it's in such good condition, I was concerned that it was most likely scrapped by now. My dad would be thrilled.
Thanks again.
Best regards
Vince Barnard

burgundyben

Visit site
The designer was CW Burnard, whose son, A V Burnard went on to be the in house naval architect at Fairey Marine responsible for the design of the Fairey Huntress, Huntsman and Swordsman motorboats. As a result, the Fairey Owners Club archive holds a modest amount of information about the Girl Pat. Get in touch if you'd like to see it.

VPB

Visit site
Hi Burgundyben,
Thank you for the information re CW Burnard & Fairey Marine. Yes, I would like to see more information about the Girl Pat design. Are you able to advise how I go about it please?
Best regards
Vince Barnard

Arcady

Visit site
Hello,
I'm a newbie here and am researching my late father's early life. When he was 17 in 1946 he was an apprentice carpenter at John Morris & Co (Gosport) and was involved in building a 'Girl Pat' type boat, a 35 footer later to be named 'Fanfare'. He left a note in the cabin trunking which was found some 20 years later and the then owner wrote to him from Guernsey returning the note. I think I know what the 'Girl Pat' type boats look like but unfortunately I have not been able to source any actual photographs as yet. On this forum some 11 years there was a brief discussion on these boats and even some web links which are now sadly defunct. Does anyone have a photo, or any details, of a 'Girl Pat' boat or even better of the actual 'Fanfare' that my father worked on? I would be very grateful for any assistance given.
Many thanks in advance.
Best regards
Vince Barnard

Dear Vince,

By strange coincidence I posted an article on this subject just recently in this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/motorsailers/permalink/1332206510196959/ It's possible I can add something to your detective work:

My grandfather owned a 36' Girl Pat ketch 'Marpeke' for a number of years - approximately 1959 to 1968 or thereabouts. The boat had foundered in Jersey and was raised by the local sub-aqua club. My grandfather bought her and towed her back to Guernsey where she remained during his tenure. To my knowledge she was the only Girl Pat boat in Guernsey and probably both islands, which suggests she is the boat you refer to in your post. He refitted the boat and we used her extensively in the islands and France. Indeed my earliest boating memories revolve around Marpeke. As I recall she was sold to an individual who sailed her as far as the Black Sea and my grandfather received at least one newsletter recounting the adventures along the way. What happened to her after that, I have no idea. Did she return to the UK to be renamed 'Fanfare'? Unlikely, as that doesn't tally with the sales particulars suggesting Fanfare was sailed out of Cornwall during the '60's.

If you PM me with your contact details, I can email you a scanned copy of a review of the original designs from 1945, published in Motor Boat & Yachting. Interestingly those designs were for a 30' version and 45' version. The 45' version had much the same layout as the 36', but with an additional fo'c's'le ahead of the fore cabin. I did have some photo's of Marpeke until recently , but have sadly mislaid them.

I wish you all the best with your research.

Last edited:

Paul 1965

Visit site
Hello,
Many thanks in advance.
Best regards
Vince Barnard

Paul 1965

Visit site
Hi Vince,
I am the current owner and just emailed you Fanfare's recent history on the address you gave above.
If there is anyone else out there who is interested do let me know.
Best,
Paul