Walton Backwaters - River Trader in Oakley Creek

Visit site
While sailing back through Harwich from an overnight stay in Hamford Water my attention was drawn to a conversation between Harwich VTS and the coaster River Trader which I had seen anchored off Felixtowe ferry the previous day. River Trader was looking for confirmation of the tide height at Harwich which needed to be 3.6 before they would venture into the backwaters. Thinking that was a big ship to be taking in such a restricted channel I checked when I got home an sure enough River Trader made it to Great Oakley jetty. Ok so maybe the ship was probably not fully loaded but at 58m long, 9m wide an a max draft of 2.4 m it takes some skill to get her up a narrow winding creek with drying heights of 3.3m and a estimated 4.1m high tide. Full marks to the Captain and crew.
ECP rightly recommends you don’t anchor in Oakley Creek but perhaps some caution is needed if anchoring in Hamford Water during spring tides to keep the way clear for shipping.

johnalison

Visit site
I think that Hamford Water is big enough for us not to worry, though I avoid stopping at the entrance to the creek itself.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
While sailing back through Harwich from an overnight stay in Hamford Water my attention was drawn to a conversation between Harwich VTS and the coaster River Trader which I had seen anchored off Felixtowe ferry the previous day. River Trader was looking for confirmation of the tide height at Harwich which needed to be 3.6 before they would venture into the backwaters. Thinking that was a big ship to be taking in such a restricted channel I checked when I got home an sure enough River Trader made it to Great Oakley jetty. Ok so maybe the ship was probably not fully loaded but at 58m long, 9m wide an a max draft of 2.4 m it takes some skill to get her up a narrow winding creek with drying heights of 3.3m and a estimated 4.1m high tide. Full marks to the Captain and crew.
ECP rightly recommends you don’t anchor in Oakley Creek but perhaps some caution is needed if anchoring in Hamford Water during spring tides to keep the way clear for shipping.
You can always check with Harwich Pilots if you want to anchor somewhere in Oakley Creek.