Wales tightens up Lockdown from 25/04

Allan

Visit site
I've just read this thread through and found the analogy interesting. I can see it (the analogy) from two different perspectives. 1. A good telesales person at your supplier enables you to employ less skilled and presumably cheaper, buying staff. 2. Having telesales staff could leave a company open to expensive legal cases if they fail to correct mistakes by under skilled buying staff.
In my 41years in industry I decided that there seemed to be an unwritten rule that said every company had to have, at least, one person who had been promoted beyond their level of competence. For a few years, before my early retirement, it was me.
Allan

llywelyn1984

Visit site
Given that England is opening up and Wales is still on lock down...i wonder what will happen when one is sailing a yacht on the "welsh" side of the channel?
I can picture mark drakeford speeding over to them on a RIB to tell them to clear off.

donm

Visit site
I've just read this thread through and found the analogy interesting. I can see it (the analogy) from two different perspectives. 1. A good telesales person at your supplier enables you to employ less skilled and presumably cheaper, buying staff. 2. Having telesales staff could leave a company open to expensive legal cases if they fail to correct mistakes by under skilled buying staff.
In my 41years in industry I decided that there seemed to be an unwritten rule that said every company had to have, at least, one person who had been promoted beyond their level of competence. For a few years, before my early retirement, it was me.
Allan
Have you ever heard of The Peter Principle? It describes the final promotion to which you refer.

Allan

Visit site
Have you ever heard of The Peter Principle? It describes the final promotion to which you refer.
Yes, I've heard it called that. I prefer the level of incompetence. Fortunately my lack of competence was not noticed by my bosses, due to a great team I had around me. If it had been noticed I'm sure they would have called it the 'Allan Principal'.

38mess

Visit site
Yes, I've heard it called that. I prefer the level of incompetence. Fortunately my lack of competence was not noticed by my bosses, due to a great team I had around me. If it had been noticed I'm sure they would have called it the 'Allan Principal'.
Is this why you were early retired ?

Allan

Visit site
Is this why you were early retired ?
It's a little off topic, but yes, along with being luckier than most people, it did contribute. I've managed three Atlantic crossings, over thirty thousand miles sailing and a great life, and still have two years before the state pension kicks it. Bliss!
Allan

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Fred Drift !

I was promoted to an unsuitable job once, didnt speak up and coupled with a lax manager I struggled and got demoted. I learned to speak up from that incident but hurt at the time, though good mate got my old job. Since then I play to my skills as researcher/safety engineer/general bulldog and am still nearly full time in my 70th year earning money for new genoa bowsprit and such toys.