VP2003 Heat Exchanger stack removal

tim

Visit site
Can the cooling stack in a VP2003 Heat Exchanger be removed from the body of the heat exchanger (am going to descale it)?

pvb

Visit site
Can the cooling stack in a VP2003 Heat Exchanger be removed from the body of the heat exchanger (am going to descale it)?

Yes, but it's a fiddly thing to remove and re-install, with lots of sealing rings (which should be replaced with new). There's also a possibility that descaling the stack may introduce leaks (this happened on the stack on my 2003T), so unless you think the pipes are very restricted by scale I'd be tempted to leave it alone.

West Coast

Visit site
I would have said no. The last boat I had was fitted with a VP 2003 ( not a turbo) and the stack seemed firmly secured (welded or similar) to the heat exchanger body. But easy to clean the stack as both ends were removable exposing the tubes for cleaning. Usual warnings re correct re-assembly so water correctly passes through all the tubes!

pvb - are you referring to the difficulty of removing the assembled heat exchanger from the engine, rather than the stack from the heat exchanger body?

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
I would have said no. The last boat I had was fitted with a VP 2003 ( not a turbo) and the stack seemed firmly secured (welded or similar) to the heat exchanger body.

The parts diagram shows them as separate parts, although no longer available. You can still buy a complete heat exchanger for about a grand, which is why I'd treat the existing one very carefully!

scottie

Visit site
The parts diagram shows them as separate parts, although no longer available. You can still buy a complete heat exchanger for about a grand, which is why I'd treat the existing one very carefully!

The 2003 unit stack is not removable but the 2003T has an insert they are quite different animals as I recall on dealer supplied engines the fresh water cooling was an optional extra but productionbuilders may have been able to have them fitted from factory

rszemeti

Visit site
And to be fair, you should not need to dismantle the stack that far. The heatexchanger itself can easily be removed from the engine (undo the bracket, remove the clamp nut at the end, and it slides off) the end caps can be removed, and then you have access to all the bits that might need attention. It is just solft-soldered, so any repairs should be easy if needed.