Vp2002 fuel lift pump

stu9000

Visit site
Hi my 1988 westerly engine is smelling a bit. I'm sure it has got worse and it looks like the lift pump might be weeping where the manual pump lever goes in. Is this common? I assume I will need to replace the whole unit?

Thanks

VicS

Visit site
Any diesel leak from below the diaphragm indicates a failed diaphragm and means that diesel will also be getting into your engine oil sump, but check it is not simply one of the unions or the cover joint which is leaking

very few parts are available for the old type pumps ... Check Keypart's price for replacement pumps
2002 - Diesel Engine

You may also need a new O ring seal between the pump and the crankcase

Last edited:

stu9000

Visit site
Any diesel leak from below the diaphragm indicates a failed diaphragm and means that diesel will also be getting into your engine oil sump, but check it is not simply one of the unions or the cover joint which is leaking

very few parts are available for the old type pumps ... Check Keypart's price for replacement pumps
2002 - Diesel Engine

You may also need a new O ring seal between the pump and the crankcase

Thanks Vic

stu9000

Visit site
Lift pump (sealed)
£85
Keypart

Ill give em a ring but I suspect Im replacing a non sealed pump with a sealed unit and thefore would need to buy this fuel pipe as well
£99
Keypart

Seems a huge amount to pay.

Has anyone fitted a modern pump.
Any thoughts on reliability and fitting pipework?

Possible Pumps

12V Petrol Diesel Gas Fuel Pump Universal Inline Electric Pump MarkUK® HEP-02A: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
1593555088402.png
or

12V Petrol Diesel Gas Fuel Pump Universal Inline Electric Pump MarkUK® HEP-02A: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

1593555134374.png

Easticks28

Visit site
Lift pump (sealed)
£85
Keypart

Ill give em a ring but I suspect Im replacing a non sealed pump with a sealed unit and thefore would need to buy this fuel pipe as well
£99
Keypart

Seems a huge amount to pay.

Has anyone fitted a modern pump.
Any thoughts on reliability and fitting pipework?
I bit the bullet and went for that option some time ago. Not only was the diesel pong eliminated but so were the starting difficulties.
I thought the pipe was abit of a p*ss take, and wondered afterwards if I couldn't have had one made up somewhere.
I tried the route suggested by Pandos.
Went to a well respected local distributor of all things diesel and despite a long search of his very large stock and on line as well he was unable to help. It was the mounting flange that was the problem.

scottie

Visit site
From memory 12yrs plus I believe the pipe may be usable if not a hose supplier may make one up at well under that price

stu9000

Visit site
I rang Keypart and they were their usual helpful selves.

The repair kit is no longer available.
The unsealed original unit is no longer available.
So I need the sealed pump which means i need the pipe as well.

Perhaps there are various workarounds. There must be fabricators out there who could make a pipe for less.
Probably this could be done in combination with a tractor lift pump.
But the chances of the fittings not fitting seem high.

Also, there is the time waiting for the parts, all the while relying on a fuel pump that is potentially disintegrating daily.

I'm going on board this afternoon to double-check but unless someone has walked this path and can offer a solution I am likely just to spend the money and be done with it.

scottie

Visit site
The replacement pipe uses the same banjo bolts and washers so having a flexible pipe made up would seem viable and I still have a thought the original pipe might be ok with some tweaking if desperate

kacecar

Visit site
If you decide to go for a sealed unit I don't think the piping need be a problem. I too had to change a faulty pump of the older unsealed type for a new sealed one - had to, I was stuck miles from anywhere and time was tight. Naturally the pipe routing had to change so I merely cut the ends off the standard hard pipes, leaving a suitable length of the hard pipe on each end fitting, and then I joined them up again with rubber fuel hose and good quality jubilee clips. This flexible "quick fix" has now been on there for 15 years.

stu9000

Visit site
If you decide to go for a sealed unit I don't think the piping need be a problem. I too had to change a faulty pump of the older unsealed type for a new sealed one - had to, I was stuck miles from anywhere and time was tight. Naturally the pipe routing had to change so I merely cut the ends off the standard hard pipes, leaving a suitable length of the hard pipe on each end fitting, and then I joined them up again with rubber fuel hose and good quality jubilee clips. This flexible "quick fix" has now been on there for 15 years.
Good solution. Certainly good enough for me.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I did rebuild my vp 2001 pump as it weeped the same as yours. I think VP did a kit so no need to replace with the sealed type.