VP QL trim tabs

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Tabs were working fine then both packed in 3 weeks before the end of the season. Boat was on a swinging mooring so I assumed they had suffered some marine growth, lots of clicking noises when operated but no movement and flashing lights on panel indicating tabs stuck. Now the boat is out there is no real sign of growth around the blades. I’ve taken the fittings off and will strip them down but now wondering if it could be a problem with the switching. Techies here don’t know the tabs so it’s down to me. Anyone any ideas where to start if there’s no appreciable growth on the blades? Can’t find anything online.

CLB

Visit site
Are these the ones with a short vertical blade, known as Boat Trim System? If so, they are not very reliable. I have to swap one every couple of years as water seems to find its way in. Next time I will rip the whole lot out and replace with something else.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Are these the ones with a short vertical blade, known as Boat Trim System? If so, they are not very reliable. I have to swap one every couple of years as water seems to find its way in. Next time I will rip the whole lot out and replace with something else.
Yes, and there was some ‘drippage’ when I took them off. Problem I’ve got replacing them is lack of height under the swim platform for fitting conventional tabs, Lenco tabs need 14” from tab to top of the actuator.

CLB

Visit site
Yes, and there was some ‘drippage’ when I took them off. Problem I’ve got replacing them is lack of height under the swim platform for fitting conventional tabs, Lenco tabs need 14” from tab to top of the actuator.

I was thinking of swapping for Zipwake as I haven't heard of any failures. If the Volvo ones fit, Zipwake should also fit.

Plum

Visit site
Tabs were working fine then both packed in 3 weeks before the end of the season. Boat was on a swinging mooring so I assumed they had suffered some marine growth, lots of clicking noises when operated but no movement and flashing lights on panel indicating tabs stuck. Now the boat is out there is no real sign of growth around the blades. I’ve taken the fittings off and will strip them down but now wondering if it could be a problem with the switching. Techies here don’t know the tabs so it’s down to me. Anyone any ideas where to start if there’s no appreciable growth on the blades? Can’t find anything online.
Hi, no direct experience of those tabs but are you aware they have to be "calibrated" after being worked on? I quote "
for calibration of the QL tabs...make sure the main switch is on. press the top and bottom control panel buttons and continue to hold while you turn the key to the on position, but don't start the engines. continue to hold the buttons for at least 10 seconds even if the blades start to move. after ten seconds release the buttons, and wait while the blades go up and down. when calibration is complete the two upper and lower led's will flash. if anything other than those 4 flashes, you have an issue of some sort."

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Hi, no direct experience of those tabs but are you aware they have to be "calibrated" after being worked on? I quote "
for calibration of the QL tabs...make sure the main switch is on. press the top and bottom control panel buttons and continue to hold while you turn the key to the on position, but don't start the engines. continue to hold the buttons for at least 10 seconds even if the blades start to move. after ten seconds release the buttons, and wait while the blades go up and down. when calibration is complete the two upper and lower led's will flash. if anything other than those 4 flashes, you have an issue of some sort."

Yes, thanks. I actually tried to recalibrate them when I first started having problems but to no avail. I’ll see if I can dismantle one later and see what’s going on inside, the flashes on the control panel indicate stuck blades but they seem to be free with no growth so water ingress is a possible. All the fuses in the system are ok. I’m thinking I might ‘invest’ in a set of Zipwakes, they look like a good like for like replacement, although hopefully with greater longevity ?

CLB

Visit site
Yes, thanks. I actually tried to recalibrate them when I first started having problems but to no avail. I’ll see if I can dismantle one later and see what’s going on inside, the flashes on the control panel indicate stuck blades but they seem to be free with no growth so water ingress is a possible. All the fuses in the system are ok. I’m thinking I might ‘invest’ in a set of Zipwakes, they look like a good like for like replacement, although hopefully with greater longevity ?

They can only be dismantled destructively. Worth doing out of curiosity, but won't be usable if you find nothing wrong. I have dismantled two failed units, and both had water inside the electronics compartment.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
They can only be dismantled destructively. Worth doing out of curiosity, but won't be usable if you find nothing wrong. I have dismantled two failed units, and both had water inside the electronics compartment.
Just finished taking them apart (I reckon they’d go back together ok apart from the plastic has degraded and started disintegrating!). As you say, one gearbox was full of water, currently sat on the radiator, but one was dry. The one with water in looks to me like it’s been apart before, even the mastic is a different colour. Begs the question why did the dry one stop working? Very basic inside, just a series of plastic gears linked to a tiny motor. God knows why they cost so much, I’ve seen similar kit in kid’s toys :cautious:

87FC0C58-41E5-4885-A114-E902C39582F6.jpeg

wakeup

Visit site
I had these on my last boat, ended up changing 3 blade units and one controller over 3 year period. Completely unfit for purpose in my opinion. Avoid.

Go for traditional Bennett tabs and get your hull modified if needed to fit them.

CLB

Visit site
Just finished taking them apart (I reckon they’d go back together ok apart from the plastic has degraded and started disintegrating!). As you say, one gearbox was full of water, currently sat on the radiator, but one was dry. The one with water in looks to me like it’s been apart before, even the mastic is a different colour. Begs the question why did the dry one stop working? Very basic inside, just a series of plastic gears linked to a tiny motor. God knows why they cost so much, I’ve seen similar kit in kid’s toys :cautious:

Well done getting em apart so complete. I must be a bit too heavy handed o_O

Odd that the dry one stopped working. Are the gear cogs all good? They can strip if the blade gets stuck so I have heard.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Well done getting em apart so complete. I must be a bit too heavy handed o_O

Odd that the dry one stopped working. Are the gear cogs all good? They can strip if the blade gets stuck so I have heard.
All the gears are good and no growth on the blades, I’m guessing this is the one that was clicking but no idea why. I’ve just measured up and the swim platform would have to go to fit conventional tabs, being on a swinging mooring the platform is invaluable for getting on and off the boat so it looks like Zipwakes - unless someone comes along to throw cold water on the idea. I’ll retry the Volvos to see if either work, might be able to get a few quid for the controller, cables etc if so.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
As I have mentioned before, I do not see the advantage of trimtabs on the Antares 760, but I do have them. Mine are Bennett tabs and are mounted below the original bathing platform although the rams mount on the bathing platform flange. Still work after 20 years! Picture is here 20150317_142118.jpg

I must say they’re certainly not essential, although being able to drop the bow slightly at lower speeds in a head sea is useful. In certain conditions mine exhibits a list to port which can be a bit disconcerting over 18kn, no obvious list at rest and it doesn’t list under all conditions but nice to correct it when it does. I’ve also got 2x38mm holes below the waterline where the Volvo cables entered the hull, which the Zipwake tabs will cover up and seal nicely (y) I measured up for Bennet/Lenco tabs and the rams would end up exactly where yours are. However, given the cost of traditional tabs plus switch gear there isn’t a lot of difference once you factor in the auto trim functions of the Zipwakes.

Edited to add; on closer inspection one of the plastic gears on the non drowned drive box has stripped slightly, so both interceptors are fubar.

Plum

Visit site
I must say they’re certainly not essential, although being able to drop the bow slightly at lower speeds in a head sea is useful. In certain conditions mine exhibits a list to port which can be a bit disconcerting over 18kn, no obvious list at rest and it doesn’t list under all conditions but nice to correct it when it does. I’ve also got 2x38mm holes below the waterline where the Volvo cables entered the hull, which the Zipwake tabs will cover up and seal nicely (y) I measured up for Bennet/Lenco tabs and the rams would end up exactly where yours are. However, given the cost of traditional tabs plus switch gear there isn’t a lot of difference once you factor in the auto trim functions of the Zipwakes.

Edited to add; on closer inspection one of the plastic gears on the non drowned drive box has stripped slightly, so both interceptors are fubar.
That's strange, mine has a list to Starboard at and above 18 knots.