Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

kashurst

Visit site
Outside of this very small forum, I doubt many people are aware of the potential issue.
Older boats with certain BMW engines will struggle to get parts - but they still sell.
Ultimately there will be a solution of some sorts. Either via Volvo or a third party - probably an owner who will commission a design.
The numbers involved are small and spread across the world so it's a very very small, market for any business. So a new design will essentially have to be a private action.

Anyone hazard a guess how many people are stuck with a dead engine?

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk

Anyone hazard a guess how many people are stuck with a dead engine?
I can’t think very many
When this topic first came up a few months ago there was a second hand VP ECU on Coastal Rides and it sat there for well over a month
I’ve got KAD 43’s but if I had the 44’s I would have grabbed it. About £800 I recall

vas

Visit site
well, at some point, part of the repowering cost will be covered by selling the working ECU on the s/h market for 5K a pop :D
I guess also selling turbos/superchargers and other paraphernalia will help...

V.

jrudge

Visit site
reading the ecu maybe an issue but I assume putting sensors on the engine to detrmine a range of parameters would be relatively straightforward. This would not give 100% coverage of all situations big would give a decent baseline ?

Solent Sailor

Visit site
well, at some point, part of the repowering cost will be covered by selling the working ECU on the s/h market for 5K a pop :D
I guess also selling turbos/superchargers and other paraphernalia will help...

V.
Not a bad thought. Turbos worth a thou or two, ECU the same, aftercooler etc all big and expensive to replace. Probably more value in breaking an engine than selling it whole which is often the case with end of life cars (especially my favourite Range/Land Rovers). Of course, it takes time and somewhere to keep the bits though, which is normally enough hassle to put most people off because the missus doesn't want oily rusting lumps sitting on her driveway.

Both of my ECUs have, I think, been replaced in the past. Put it this way, I have an old ECU (TAMD73Ps) sitting in a box which I suspect is dead. It is painted green. The two on my engines are silver and unpainted.

If/when the time comes to re-engine my boat (for any reason) then I won't automatically be going for VP again. I don't have anything particularly against them, although this debacle isn't putting them in a great light, but other options such as Cummins, look more attractive at the moment. There are also a wealth of newer commercial diesel based engines on the market now which may well suit the boat well (at considerably lower cost).

Of course - for many this is rather academic and our engines will probably outlive us.

dryfisher

Visit site
You can change the ECU when you swapp the fine fuele filters next time.
Or better you send me the ECU and I check this for you ?.

jon and michie

Visit site
As this ECU in question does power a variety of models namely from low power 44/300 the 3.6 litre engines both shaft and stern drive , powering injection pump and both shaft drive gearbox solenoid namely the HS63 and the linear actuator on a stern drive application.
The 73/74/74 and TAMD 122P EDC are all using the same design ECU .

Worldwide there must be a few hundred thousand units out there , as we both have had no real reply as to what the production problem is I can only guess that as the ecu must be made by several companies using several methods of production that somewhere along the line something is no longer available to make the final product .

Id guess that Nira automotive make the board , other companies make the alloy casing , Bosch make the sensor .
As no one is prepared to talk its a stale mate .

So to just re cap - This obsolete ECU not only affects the TAMD range of engine but also the KAD engines aswell ?
Jon

harvey38

Visit site
Reading all of this I'm quite happy to have a pair of old, reliable (if a tad smokey) pair of SABRE 250's then :cool:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Thank You Paul - so what is the likely / common cause of failure of these units?

and potentially there are thousands of engines with this ecu - so therefore it is in someones interest to manufacture them.

Jon
One of mine failed the winter before last. I believe it was due to a defective battery charger that knackered the batteries. I would really recommend that owners avoid messing with their engine electrical systems and be particularly careful about trying to start or run the engines with knackered batteries or alternators. Owners of engines without voltage regulators (e.g. KAD44EDC-A and B) need to be doubly careful.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I call it “yesterday’s friend” but could Imperial One have bought the secondhand KAD44 ECU from Coastal Rides when it was available and had it reprogrammed for his TAMD 73P engine.
No .

The units are manufactured blank and programmed for each individual order from dealer network worldwide , there is no stock of units for any particular engine that’s why they to my knowledge ever been available as a next day item , usually takes best part of a week .
I would like to know when they actually sold the last unit and programmed it , I’d imagine they knew exactly the problem in the future as volvos suppliers must have stopped producing way before the stock ran out .

The answer to David J is that once programmed there is nothing any one can do unless Volvo the would agree to taking up a programme themselves as they have or did have the facilities to carry this out .
As I’ve said before it could just be that there is one link missing in the chain to produce the units but Volvo will not help or give any information as to why they cannot supply again .
Mike has been talking to the head man on this and getting nowhere .