Volvo S130 Saildrive- Possible water contamination

LinTeal

Visit site
I noticed yesterday the oil level had risen suggesting water penetration.The oil is not milky ,however still a worry.I assume the first port of call is to remove the oil.I assume this is quite doable whilst afloat as the S130 has an extraction tube.Thoughts advice would be appreciated.

Halo

Visit site
You need to get to the bottom of this.
The most likely cause is the shaft seal. Run the engine hard and in gear and if there is water in there then very likely the oil will start to resemble egg yolk. Its important to make sure that the oil filer plug is tight so that water/oil cannot enter the boat.
Changing the oil may enable you to limp on to the end of the season if the leak is very small.
Return the oil to normal level and leave it for a while - a tiny hiss when you unscrew the filler may also indicate a leak

peter gibbs

Visit site
I noticed yesterday the oil level had risen suggesting water penetration.The oil is not milky ,however still a worry.I assume the first port of call is to remove the oil.I assume this is quite doable whilst afloat as the S130 has an extraction tube.Thoughts advice would be appreciated.
Corrosion will result if water has penetrated the shafts seals. Replacement of seals is required - not a big job but has to be out of the water - I would not trust a tide on the piles to deliver the time needed for a DIY job. If no evidence In the oil clarity you can proceed short term with care.

Excess fluid in the leg, however caused, does risk seals so needs to be lowered to the marks.

Has recent topping up oil level been overdone? Try this approach first.

If oil is leaking you are likely to see traces in the wash.

PWG

Daydream believer

Visit site
If the 130 is like the 120 you cannot drain it from inside the boat. It would be unwise to run the gearbox with water in the oil. If there is water present it will show as a milky colour. One would not wish to damage the ceramic clutch plates.
There are 2 possible causes. The most common is a failure of the seals to the bottom shaft. I have changed these a couple of times on my saildrive & it does take a while. I would not leave it too long as scoring of the shaft could occur meaning that replacement seals will not solve the problem in the future & one will need shaft repair options if it got scored.
Last time I did it as a standard maintenance item when doing my 7 year saildrive rubber seal change, so I could do on a clean bench.
The other cause happened to me once. I put the wrong washer on the filler screw at the bottom & water leaked in via that. It resulted in a haul out at Cherbourg & the local engineer said it needed new seals. However, Volspec at Tolsbury sussed it out & they were correct. I drained the oil, refilled after putting in the correct washer & all was good & i was able to carry on with my holiday - but 200 euros worse off for the cost of a washer.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Return the oil to normal level and leave it for a while - a tiny hiss when you unscrew the filler may also indicate a leak
That is an interesting comment. I have noticed a "hiss" due to a different air pressure when removing the oil filler cap even from brand new. I do not believe that there is a leak, but cannot explain the reason. Could it be pressure from the engine?
Does anyone else get this?

Venus1

Visit site
Depending on the extent of your variation (level on dipstick), it may be normal.
Experience and previous threads here taught me that because there’s air chambers in the (sealed) gearbox, the level will vary Slightly. The amount of air trapped when filling, angle of heal history, and temperature may be variables (?).
Also explains the hiss on unscrewing dipstick, which mine has done sometimes, from new

Dipper

Visit site
My 120 sometimes hisses. That must indicate a difference in pressure between the inside and the outside of the saildrive which surely means the seals are sealing. I put it down to either a difference in temperature in the unit from when the cap was last screwed down or a difference in atmospheric pressure at the time.

On second thoughts, if the oil level was below sea level and water got in then that might cause a hiss as well. Anyway, mine has a new shaft and professionally installed seals so it's not that.