Volvo Penta MDI Black Box D2 -55 problems ?

markhomer

Visit site
Hi Ive just had to replace the MDI black box on the Volvo D2-55 engine , starting had become erratic and it was diagnosed the box which receives the signals from the evc push button controller in the cockpit . It was a mere £500 plus for box only plus fitting . To add insult to injury , volvo have recalled later engine black boxes but not mine despite they are obviously faulty , My boat was first commissioned 2008 and has 750 eng hours , I mentioned to my friend who has same engine and sounds like he has same problem . both elan 434 , buts its a volve D2-55 control system fault .

Volvo arent interested !!!!!!.

Im trying to find out who else has had this problem .

BrianReynolds

Visit site
Hi Mark
I have had the same problem with the MDI unit on a D2 75 engine. The first failed and was replaced under guarantee, (I could show a video of it turning on theN just going off), the second one I replaced as it was out of guarantee (after 300hrs) so I bought it, but I wrote to Volvo with the details and they have agreed to replace it under a recall. Not got it yet.

Kind regards
Brian
INGA

richardh10

Visit site
Probably no consolation but I’m on my 4th unit, for a D2-40. All replaced free of charge under a recall. Apparently this last one actually solves the problem. We’ll see!

Slowtack

Visit site
D1 30 installed 2017. On third box. Replacements were free of charge but I was not informed about any recall.

Heckler

Visit site
D1 30 installed 2017. On third box. Replacements were free of charge but I was not informed about any recall.
I helped a guy on a brand new ovni, 5 boxes, a wiring harness, a new panel. I know what the issue is, I got involved on the periphery, Swedish techs came to Portugal and confirmed what I had found out. Contact me by PM for more info

JB-MHD

Visit site
New member, old problem ... multiple MDI failures on a D2-75F. Extraordinarily frustrating.

I'm wondering whether the stop solenoid (back emf?) might be implicated in these failures. Any comments? Thanks.

Pohivon

Visit site
I helped a guy on a brand new ovni, 5 boxes, a wiring harness, a new panel. I know what the issue is, I got involved on the periphery, Swedish techs came to Portugal and confirmed what I had found out. Contact me by PM for more info

hello Hecker, I would be interrested with your information about the mdi black box. Can you please send me a message on pohivon@gmail.com
Thank uou

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Quite a few people have installed a second starter button from any live feed direct to the starter motor solenoid, bypassing the black box. I hear it's cheaper to remove the box, rewire and replace instruments and senders with old tech, than to buy a new box when out of warranty.

wizard

Visit site
Quite a few people have installed a second starter button from any live feed direct to the starter motor solenoid, bypassing the black box. I hear it's cheaper to remove the box, rewire and replace instruments and senders with old tech, than to buy a new box when out of warranty.

Absolutely true. Just doing the very same thing now over winter. Relays for start and preheat and engine runs fine. Now doing the gauge testing before finally making a new panel.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Diode fitted by VP techs to a brand new Ovni, this to prevent EMF flyback from the negative engine isolation relay. My view is that all the issues have been caused by a lack of "flyback" diodes on relays

703A2F56-2A2C-47FE-9436-1F05791B4A19.jpeg

Slowtack

Visit site
I am keen to know more about the diode fix...., diode type, rating etc............I'm guessing it is fitted across the engine-stop solenoid and whether the dioe spec varies with engine size?
I was unable to contact Heckler by PM.

wizard

Visit site
I am keen to know more about the diode fix...., diode type, rating etc............I'm guessing it is fitted across the engine-stop solenoid and whether the dioe spec varies with engine size?

Every universal diode (1N4001) should do that job. Connect the cathode(the side with the ring) to the (+)side of solenoid and anode to (-)/common.

Dave100456

Visit site
2018 D275F, I had the MDI changed under recall/ warranty after it failed in Lanzarote, engine had 70 hrs or so. The Volvo service agent said he changed 19 that season! The new MDI solves the issue I’m told, no issues since But I do keep a relay bypass wire handy.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Contact me on 07967313792
S

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
2018 D275F, I had the MDI changed under recall/ warranty after it failed in Lanzarote, engine had 70 hrs or so. The Volvo service agent said he changed 19 that season! The new MDI solves the issue I’m told, no issues since But I do keep a relay bypass wire handy.

Can you clarify exactly what and where please? I have a 2020 D2-60 and wouldn't like this issue to occur mid passage without having a trick up my sleeve? Thanks

Dave100456

Visit site
Disconnect relay nearest MDI and short the two connectors
Video here for you.
However, what the video doesn’t say is that the warnings for overheat and oil pressure are also bypassed by this method but at least it will “get you home”
Think this is the service bulletin. (Service bulletin Group 37-2 Number 107 Version 1)

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
Disconnect relay nearest MDI and short the two connectors
Video here for you.
However, what the video doesn’t say is that the warnings for overheat and oil pressure are also bypassed by this method but at least it will “get you home”
Think this is the service bulletin. (Service bulletin Group 37-2 Number 107 Version 1)

Many thanks!