• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

Volvo Penta MDI Black Box D2 -55 problems ?

markhomer

Hi Ive just had to replace the MDI black box on the Volvo D2-55 engine , starting had become erratic and it was diagnosed the box which receives the signals from the evc push button controller in the cockpit . It was a mere £500 plus for box only plus fitting . To add insult to injury , volvo have recalled later engine black boxes but not mine despite they are obviously faulty , My boat was first commissioned 2008 and has 750 eng hours , I mentioned to my friend who has same engine and sounds like he has same problem . both elan 434 , buts its a volve D2-55 control system fault .

Volvo arent interested !!!!!!.

Im trying to find out who else has had this problem .

BrianReynolds

Hi Mark
I have had the same problem with the MDI unit on a D2 75 engine. The first failed and was replaced under guarantee, (I could show a video of it turning on theN just going off), the second one I replaced as it was out of guarantee (after 300hrs) so I bought it, but I wrote to Volvo with the details and they have agreed to replace it under a recall. Not got it yet.

Kind regards
Brian
INGA

richardh10

Probably no consolation but I’m on my 4th unit, for a D2-40. All replaced free of charge under a recall. Apparently this last one actually solves the problem. We’ll see!

Slowtack

D1 30 installed 2017. On third box. Replacements were free of charge but I was not informed about any recall.

Heckler

D1 30 installed 2017. On third box. Replacements were free of charge but I was not informed about any recall.
I helped a guy on a brand new ovni, 5 boxes, a wiring harness, a new panel. I know what the issue is, I got involved on the periphery, Swedish techs came to Portugal and confirmed what I had found out. Contact me by PM for more info

JB-MHD

New member, old problem ... multiple MDI failures on a D2-75F. Extraordinarily frustrating.

I'm wondering whether the stop solenoid (back emf?) might be implicated in these failures. Any comments? Thanks.