Volvo Penta MD2030 "lazy" gearbox

Termagant

Visit site
Make/model of gearbox would be useful.

Have you changed the oil in the transmission ?

Is it filled with the correct oil ?
Not much further forward. The engine is MD2030-D and it is fitted with an unmarked gearbox (picture attached). The engine instruction book says this is an MS10L or MS10A. The book says it needs 0.35 litres of SAE 15W/40. I put ATF in on the advice of the Volvo mechanic. Should I go back to the oil?

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_153015.jpg
    IMG_20210123_153015.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 32

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
I would and have used the VP 15/40 since I bought the boat eight years ago.
Essentially, my gearbox is noisy when in tick over in gear, forward or reverse. I suspected that the plate was worn and spoke with the original owner who had had the boat since new. He said that it had always made - what I felt was excessive noise - chattering in tick over. More so when hot.
Spoke to Volvo Penta re my suspicions but they weren’t at all that concerned stating that some are noisier than others and provided there are no issues then live with it. It’s never ever let me down.
The advice was put in the same oil as used in the engine, MD 2040. It did improve things but still chattery when hot. Especially at night when you’re trying to creep in!
use the 15/40 SAE.

ithet

Visit site
Not much further forward. The engine is MD2030-D and it is fitted with an unmarked gearbox (picture attached). The engine instruction book says this is an MS10L or MS10A. The book says it needs 0.35 litres of SAE 15W/40. I put ATF in on the advice of the Volvo mechanic. Should I go back to the oil?

Yes that's the correct gearbox for "D" versions of the MD20xx, what Volvo call an MS10 but actually a ZF/Hurth gearbox. The advice l got from my VP agent (RK marine) was to revert to engine oil. But ATF is still given as an alternative. Personally I don't think your shift problem will be due to type of oil.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Was the fault present before you changed to ATF ?

jwfrary

Visit site
Quick search on marine parts Europe shows most of the parts are still available for that box so that’s good as a back up!

As Paul says, if the problem wasn't there prior to the oil change then revert back to what was being used before.

ps. your cable arm is looking rather rusty so, I’m guessing the cable hasn’t had any Iove either. So check for proper movement there as It wouldn’t be the first time a cable or morse caused an issue!

Kinsale373

Visit site
I may be corrected on this but I think that the MS Gearboxes used by Volvo are actually ZF gearboxes and ZF are also linked to Hurth. My Volvo Manual tells me I have a MS 15 but it actually turned out to be a ZF box. The ZF manuals definately state that ATF is the correct Lubricant. I just checked it in the workshop repair manual.
The ZF boxes have a "Z" cast into the back body of the box which is fairly easily spotted. Have a look for this. If you see a Z you know its a ZF box and ATF is correct.
Did you try disconnecting the cable off the shift lever and see if the problem is still there , its a very easy test.
I have the full Repair manual for ZF boxes but I cant upload it. If its any good to you send me a message and Ill EMail it.

Kinsale 373

Termagant

Visit site
Thank you all for your comments. Next step is to test the cable set up and try without cable attached, and second see if I can find a Z on the box anywhere. Bit of rust management in order as well methinks.

seadog30

Visit site
Hi
I have the same box on my VP, it was new when I fitted the engine and has only done less than 500 hrs now. I had problems getting the morse control gear cables set up and had similat problems to you until i finally got the cables working correctly.
We have always used ATF oil.

Good luck

PaulRainbow

Visit site
There was a delay very occasionally, but this is now every time.

Then your first job should be to revert back to the original oil. Volvo specify:

Oil grade ................................................................... CD SAE 15W/40* CD SAE 15W/40*
ATF (Dexron II, III)* ATF (Dexron II, III)*

But note:
* WARNING! Never mix oil qualities when topping up, the same oil quality must be used that already is
filled in the reverse gear.

You will now have a mix of both oils in the gearbox. I would fill it with SAE 15w/40 and run it for 10 mins, drain and refill, twice. See how it works then.

Other comments about checking the cable is working correctly etc are still very valid, but i'd definitely do the oil first.

Termagant

Visit site
Update on my "lazy gearbox". I noticed there are two locations to make the connection between the control cable and the lever arm on the gearbox. My cable was attached to the higher of the two, so I switched it to the lower, making the lever travel further with the same movement of the control cable. Result: no difference with moving into forward, still the delay and a need to dethrottle and wait before engagement. However moving into reverse, the gear engages instantly. So half the problem solved. Next I will probably replace the ATF with SAE 15W/40.

jwfrary

Visit site
Update on my "lazy gearbox". I noticed there are two locations to make the connection between the control cable and the lever arm on the gearbox. My cable was attached to the higher of the two, so I switched it to the lower, making the lever travel further with the same movement of the control cable. Result: no difference with moving into forward, still the delay and a need to dethrottle and wait before engagement. However moving into reverse, the gear engages instantly. So half the problem solved. Next I will probably replace the ATF with SAE 15W/40.

And the problem was in reverse to?

Did you try it with the cable off completely?

Yes revert to the oil that should be in the box.

Termagant

Visit site
Yes the original problem was in reverse and forward

No I didn't try moving the lever manually with the cable off completely, I was short of time. Next visit I will try this.

Ceejay

Visit site
I had a problem with the same model of gearbox being slow to engage forward at least ten years ago. The fault developed a couple of years from being new. I changed the recommended atf oil for SAE 40 Diesel engine oil, the cure was immediate and I have had no further issues. The gearbox has since done at least 1200 hours, mostly on charter.

Termagant

Visit site
I had a problem with the same model of gearbox being slow to engage forward at least ten years ago. The fault developed a couple of years from being new. I changed the recommended atf oil for SAE 40 Diesel engine oil, the cure was immediate and I have had no further issues. The gearbox has since done at least 1200 hours, mostly on charter.
Well that sounds pretty definitive, thank you. I'm going to try that but can't understand how such an apparently slight difference in lubrication method can so drastically alter performance (nor why a Volvo engineer recommending ATF would not know that!)

Termagant

Visit site
So this time I removed the cable and moved the lever manually with the engine ticking over. There was quite a dramatic difference. Reverse engaged instantly every time. Forward would not engage unless I increased revs, then reduced revs to tickover, and then it would slowly engage. Bizarre. Changing the ATF for oil next.

Termagant

Visit site
Then your first job should be to revert back to the original oil. Volvo specify:

Oil grade ................................................................... CD SAE 15W/40* CD SAE 15W/40*
ATF (Dexron II, III)* ATF (Dexron II, III)*

But note:
* WARNING! Never mix oil qualities when topping up, the same oil quality must be used that already is
filled in the reverse gear.

You will now have a mix of both oils in the gearbox. I would fill it with SAE 15w/40 and run it for 10 mins, drain and refill, twice. See how it works then.

Other comments about checking the cable is working correctly etc are still very valid, but i'd definitely do the oil first.

OK, so I pumped out the ATF and replaced with SAE 15W/40. No change to the result: reverse engages instantly but forward is slow, in fact it won't engage unless I dethrottle, wait, listen for the engagement, then throttle ahead. I'm going with your advice and that of Ceejay to redrain and refill to improve the quality. Can't get my head around why reverse would work but forward not with the same oil.