Volvo Penta EC unit broken

André K.

Visit site
One of the control units of my Volvo Penta has died. VP say the product is discontinued and advise to replace the whole system (for the price of a small house). Does anyone know where to look for a spare one? I am fairly desperate

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 16.25.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 16.25.10.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 65
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 16.25.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 16.25.28.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 64

julians

Visit site
you may be able to get your unit repaired. You'll need to find a local electronics repair place, but it might just be something as simple as a failed capacitor, which should be easily repairable.

There are some places that repair car ECU's that may be able to repair this.

oldgit

Visit site
you may be able to get your unit repaired. You'll need to find a local electronics repair place, but it might just be something as simple as a failed capacitor, which should be easily repairable.

Chum of mine had problem with an ECU off a Phanton 46.
Spent ages/ money getting assorted folks to check external connections and connected components before coming to conclusion it was the ECU.
First reaction was finding out cost of new one !
Boat was in Spain so removed the ECU and bought it to back UK.
PCB was visually checked over for any obvious surface component failures by radio repair shop then auto ECU repair companies such as BBA-Reman were contacted but could/would not help.
Eventually contacted Coastal Rides who sorted the problem. Was either some sort of repair or re programme or poss. secondhand unit, but the problem was sorted .
After it went into limp mode several times miles from anywhere my chum lost faith in the boat and subsequently sold boat soon after it was fixed.

Last edited:

gery w

Visit site
One of the control units of my Volvo Penta has died. VP say the product is discontinued and advise to replace the whole system (for the price of a small house). Does anyone know where to look for a spare one? I am fairly desperate
I actually purchased the last one available in the dealer network last year...no change from 3k

André K.

Visit site

thanks! Following your lead, I tested the capacitor myself. I only have a cheap multi meter - can only check if it charges/ discharges (it does).

André K.

Visit site

News Flash: I found a replacement drive unit! I just installed it and everything seems to work - no more error codes. However, reverse and forward gears are switched: pushing the lever forward makes the engine go in reverse and vice versa. I'm sure it can be fixed by switching a couple of wires, but which ones? The colours are Red-Grey-Black and Yello-Black. Any ideas? Thanks again!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 18.48.04.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 18.48.04.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 18.47.52.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 18.47.52.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 6

n.herring

Visit site
I think this is just a re programme at the controls, might be wrong but I am sure someone will be along in a minute that knows the procedure

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
News Flash: I found a replacement drive unit! I just installed it and everything seems to work - no more error codes. However, reverse and forward gears are switched: pushing the lever forward makes the engine go in reverse and vice versa. I'm sure it can be fixed by switching a couple of wires, but which ones? The colours are Red-Grey-Black and Yello-Black. Any ideas? Thanks again!
Carry out the set up calibration.