Volvo penta d4 stalling

lesconnor

Visit site
Yeah, we also have an identical twin engine that doesn’t have the problem, which tends to diminish an environmental issue (heat) as the root cause. But we’ll chase any leads at this point- thanks for posting!

lesconnor

Visit site
Done,should be in your inbox
The text refers to an air pressure buildup in the air filter? I can’t imagine a pressure buildup in an air filter, never mind how that could affect a fuel system. Maybe it should say fuel filter, not air filter? Or maybe i just don’t understand something ;-/.

julians

Visit site
The text refers to an air pressure buildup in the air filter? I can’t imagine a pressure buildup in an air filter, never mind how that could affect a fuel system. Maybe it should say fuel filter, not air filter? Or maybe i just don’t understand something ;-/.
I think it's an error and it should say fuel filter.

Regardless, using the updated part fixed my problem.

lesconnor

Visit site
I think it's an error and it should say fuel filter.

Regardless, using the updated part fixed my problem.
Yeah, it does more sense if we assume it’s a mistake.

We’re trying to find out whether our engines were shipped with the new part or not; our parts manual only shows the part number for the check-valve fitted part. It’s not that we're trying to avoid installing the part; rather we’re suspicious of other bits that could cause the same behaviour.

We *think* we have it narrowed down to either this check-valve solution, or a leak in the fuel filter housing mounted priming button. The racor primary has no air, the line between the racor and secondary (engine mounted) filter is confirmed leak free, but we still can’t get a completely air-free flow from the bleed valve. That is bothering us, but it’s also possible , even likely, that the open bleed valve thread acts as a venturi as fuel is pushed through it and that’s the air we see.

In the meantime, I’ll install a check valve in the return line. I wonder if that wouldn’t have the same effect?

julians

Visit site
Yeah, it does more sense if we assume it’s a mistake.

We’re trying to find out whether our engines were shipped with the new part or not; our parts manual only shows the part number for the check-valve fitted part. It’s not that we're trying to avoid installing the part; rather we’re suspicious of other bits that could cause the same behaviour.

We *think* we have it narrowed down to either this check-valve solution, or a leak in the fuel filter housing mounted priming button. The racor primary has no air, the line between the racor and secondary (engine mounted) filter is confirmed leak free, but we still can’t get a completely air-free flow from the bleed valve. That is bothering us, but it’s also possible , even likely, that the open bleed valve thread acts as a venturi as fuel is pushed through it and that’s the air we see.

In the meantime, I’ll install a check valve in the return line. I wonder if that wouldn’t have the same effect?

see my post #12 in this thread, the old and new part look slightly different. I've sent you two photos, one of the old part, the other of the new.

I'd imagine a check valve would have the same effect .....

Ville_V

Visit site
Hello,

I also had this same exact problem with my twin D4-260 engine. The port side was doing this. Julians forwarded me in the right direction. Changed the part last winter and have been sailing for the whole summer without these problems so for me it fixed the problem.

The Volvo Penta Bulletin for this problem is Service Bulletin, Group 23-4, Number 15, Version 5. Dated 6-2016
Policy (U0001), Engine stops (after start) D4 and D6 engines.

Like Julians writes the old part is just a connector with a 90 degree turn. The new part has a longer connection piece which has a check valve inside. Fairly easy to change.

Andyroonot

Visit site
I’m pretty sure when I checked one that we had, you could poke something suitable all the way through the older version as it was, as stated above, just a hose connection. If you tried to poke anything through the later version it would almost instantly hit against the check valve and so you could tell it was the later part

julians

Visit site
I’m pretty sure when I checked one that we had, you could poke something suitable all the way through the older version as it was, as stated above, just a hose connection. If you tried to poke anything through the later version it would almost instantly hit against the check valve and so you could tell it was the later part
Thanks Andy, you were a legend in diagnosing my issue,nobody else identified it, appreciate your help.

lesconnor

Visit site
I've installed the new return fitting in one of two engines (the one with the problem). The other engine still has the old (original) fitting, but isn't experiencing the issue. We'll change the second engine fitting eventually, but it's the awkward one so procrastinating ;-). These engines were manufactured in 2012, so the original return fittings were still in use until then, if not longer. We were able to confirm which fitting was installed by providing VP with the engine serial numbers.

I was contemplating installing a check valve in the return line to see if it made any difference, but decided against it because I couldn't understand how a check valve that allowed return flow but not back-flow would solve anything. As it turns out, the VP return fitting has restriction both ways. It's not a full stop check valve, but does provide some resistance to free flow, unlike the original which is straight through.

Based on the experiences and advice in this thread, I have every confidence that it will solve the problem, but it's unlikely that we'll be able to confirm that until July or August 2023. Our water and ambient temperatures are low enough now so that the engine room is much cooler, so it wouldn't be a good test.

I hope to report back next summer!. But if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate. Thanks for helping with this.

The old and new parts, and part number, is in the photo. New not painted.

CABE770B-551A-4D1C-98D6-E6A0248762C4.jpg