Volvo Penta 270 check over ?

waynes world

Visit site
Hi all :)

I have two VP 270 outdrives here that i was told are good but want to check over for myself. , I havw elooked around and can not find a way to check them over without stripping them down.

any advice please folk on what to check :)

20201113_095707.jpg

oldgit

Visit site
The stainless drain nut in the lower gearbox might be difficult to shift, always use a new washer when refitting.
Find out exactly what oil you need to refill gearbox.
Change the oil even if it looks good. It should be sparkly clear and clean ,any sign of water ie. milky or foamy white mousse you have problem.
You really really really need to change the exhaust and drive shaft bellows , they might look good on the surface but if they fail, it means out of the water again.
Remove props and check for fishing line around prop shaft.
Check lift motors work by raising and lowering the leg.
Various methods of pressuring the leg with air to check all the oil seals including the gearchange seals under the cover plate.
Now is also the time to check that the gear change is working properly (both forward and reverse) before relaunch.
Its easy to spend other peoples money but would suggest you take the opportunity replace bellows regardless.
Also ..............take any sellers promises regards previous maintainace with large shovelful of salt.
Would also appear that both legs have been disconnected from the steering helmets. ?
Do not worry if there seems to be lot of play in the steering most are like that.
The really keen might check inside the transom for water leaks via the steering fork shaft, the replacement plastic cones cost a few pennies but job can only be done out of the water. Find the fork grease nipple (hope its not blocked ) and pack via grease gun.If working properly you should able to see clean grease appearing outside the boat just above the steering helmet.
Most skippers can probably fix 75% of basic problems without resorting to professional help.
Lots of after market stuff available at sensible prices with little need to put yourself at the mercy of any genuine Volvo Penta price list
That should keep you busy for a bit. :)

Last edited:

waynes world

Visit site
The stainless drain nut in the lower gearbox might be difficult to shift, always use a new washer when refitting.
Find out exactly what oil you need to refill gearbox.
Change the oil even if it looks good. It should be sparkly clear and clean ,any sign of water ie. milky or foamy white mousse you have problem.
You really really really need to change the exhaust and drive shaft bellows , they might look good on the surface but if they fail, it means out of the water again.
Remove props and check for fishing line around prop shaft.
Check lift motors work by raising and lowering the leg.
Various methods of pressuring the leg with air to check all the oil seals including the gearchange seals under the cover plate.
Now is also the time to check that the gear change is working properly (both forward and reverse) before relaunch.
Its easy to spend other peoples money but would suggest you take the opportunity replace bellows regardless.
Also ..............take any sellers promises regards previous maintainace with large shovelful of salt.
Would also appear that both legs have been disconnected from the steering helmets. ?
Do not worry if there seems to be lot of play in the steering most are like that.
The really keen might check inside the transom for water leaks via the steering fork shaft, the replacement plastic cones cost a few pennies but job can only be done out of the water. Find the fork grease nipple (hope its not blocked ) and pack via grease gun.If working properly you should able to see clean grease appearing outside the boat just above the steering helmet.
Most skippers can probably fix 75% of basic problems without resorting to professional help.
Lots of after market stuff available at sensible prices with little need to put yourself at the mercy of any genuine Volvo Penta price list
That should keep you busy for a bit. :)

Excellent, thanks for all that, i a making a stand for them a si removed them ages ago and due to on ething and another havnt go around to checking them over.

The lift motors are also removed and i will be going over them and checking all connections etc and get them running. All was removed when i removed the engines.
When i bought the boat, and all the others i haver had, aswell a scars, i NEVER listen to what the seller tells me unless its on an invoice. if i did i would be going mad now as the seller said the engines were good. and drives are good now this is the engines, well one after it was locking up and i removed the head.

20210411_145240.jpg

20210411_144630.jpg

bit rough ha ha

waynes world

Visit site
so one side is good upto now. although it has black oil, changes gears ok and prop shaft is clean. The other has good clean oil, pic will show differance i the two , but this drive goes into reverse but prop can turn/slips in oppostie direction aswell. .
Not sure if they should do that as i didnt check that on the other drive.

20220121-130803.jpg

any ideas folk ? is it a G box strip down or adjustments on the selctor. ?