Volvo Md3B diesel

Visit site
I'm trying to remember the name but there used to a yard down in the South West who kept piles of old Pentas in their backyard & broke them as required for spares that are no longer available. They are not on the internet, so you'd have to ask around. May be as far as Cornwall. If I remember, I'll tell you.

Has yours rusted up/through? I overbore pistons are available for them.

See also "MD11" as they were called.

Malcolm3

Visit site
I'm trying to remember the name but there used to a yard down in the South West who kept piles of old Pentas in their backyard & broke them as required for spares that are no longer available. They are not on the internet, so you'd have to ask around. May be as far as Cornwall. If I remember, I'll tell you.

Has yours rusted up/through? I overbore pistons are available for them.

See also "MD11" as they were called.
Thanks for replying. Its not really rusted through but more the head gasket has i think been leaking for a long time. Gas has scored the top of the block as the leak continued. Let me know if you remember the yard.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Couple of MD3B leads: (I used to have one)

The chandler/wheeler-dealer underneath the arches at Ramsgate has one squirrelled away out back, maybe worth a call.

Nearer to you: SDS Engineering in N.Shields, Steve 07794 494489, probably still have my old MD3B in their container. I replaced it with a Beta, but the heads will be fine, possibly even the block.

Malcolm3

Visit site
Thanks for the info. Now have a block and head coming from Pensylvania I think. But once have that will feel more confident taking block off and maybe skimming it. I'm not a confident engineer ( yet) .

Visit site
Nah, it wasn't them. They tend to be among the paint it green and call it refurbished crowd, no? Top price too.

It's standard fare to weld up cast iron heads and you don't need to use a "marine" engineer. What tends to happen on some heads is that the material around the weld slumps microscopically, so you can weld up all sorts of evil, but then have to have a light skim not just to remove the excess weld but to flatten it again.

Having said that, my knowledge applies more to alloy heads rather than iron so someone else please chip in.