Volvo Md2010 starting woes

petemartin

Visit site
I have an 2002 MD2010 in a Hanse 301 which has just started to give me serious grief. Briefly, two weekends ago I started the engine to check it was ok before the following weeks racing. It started fine, and when put into gear there was thrust from the prop and the expected increase in revs. Water coming out he exhaust as well, so all ok there. I then left it for about 60 minutes to charge the batteries and shut it down.

On the Tuesday, it started but there was no power at all, no increases in revs when the throttle was opened. Stopped, checked the fuel level, and replaced the secondary engine mounted fuel filter, bled the filter and it then started again, but still the same result. So no racing :(

I then replaced the primary filter, and now it will not start at all. The engine sounds like it is catching, and after a while the cylinder head is warm, but it will not run.

Done the obvious, checked the throttle linkage, stop lever operation, bled the filters (lots of times), and beld the injectors, and there is clean bubble free fuel coming out from the injectors. Cleaned the tank of a small amount of sludge. Checked for air leaks by removing the pipe from the tank and blowing hard, no leaks.

I am now stuck, the local engineers seem to be booked for a couple of weeks. I'm reasonably handy with the spanners, so any suggestions on what to look at next? My personal guess is that there is some contamination that has got through the filters, but I am open to suggestions.

cheers
Pete

aluijten

Visit site
No personal experience but from other posts on this forum I've learned that probably the exhaust elbow is sooted up (clogged up with carbon) making it impossible for your engine to breathe.
This process is accelerated by using the engine just to charge the batteries.

Cheers,

Arno

david_bagshaw

Visit site
my thoughts would be stuck governor, after if it idled, and now with a filter change it doesnt go, it would be difficult to run on a fully shut rack.

when it did run slolwly, was it as a normal slow, or with other problems, smoke etc. if a normal slow, another pointer to stuck gov.

is there a fuel enrichment stop to pull out to give it a prod? with small engines, it is difficult to get trapped air out of the system.

In my experience the smaller the engine the more difficult it is removing the air. we use to have a single cyl farryman genny and it was an absolute b i t c h to remove trapped air from its filter.

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
No personal experience but from other posts on this forum I've learned that probably the exhaust elbow is sooted up (clogged up with carbon) making it impossible for your engine to breathe.
This process is accelerated by using the engine just to charge the batteries.

Cheers,

Arno
+1

petemartin

Visit site
got it working at last!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. In the end I decided to call in a professional, (Mike Wills of Cobbs Quay). It turned out to be a combination of clogged exhaust elbow, and the injectors which were not working properly. The engineer said that theyt were hosing, which I took to mean they were not pressurising properly so were not atomising the fuel - I saw this years ago on a very old big 2 cylinder Lister in a generator set. A pair of exchange injectors and a good clean saw the old girl running again. As several people have said here and elsewhere, leaving an engine on tickover for an extended period is probably not a good idea, so I will definitely be running it harder from now on.