• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

Volvo MD17D Cold Start fitting-what does it do?

Kurrawong_Kid

As I have replaced the injection pump, following a saga involving the removal of the engine (as mentioned in earlier posts) I have noticed that the "cold start"pin is drooping because the seal in the cold start fitting is damaged. I have put a couple of cable ties around the pin to help make contact with the operating arm and allow the correct adjustment to be made. However a cable, which also stops the engine, attaches to a seperate fitting which also has a pin on it and activates the operating arm. Does anyone know if the" cold start"fitting actually does anything or is it just redundant from earlier models without remote controls? I attach a sketch which may make it a little clearer. Further clarification may be found on the marine parsts europe exploded views.img174 (2).jpg

Jcorstorphine

Hi, I can only make a comment on my old MD2B which was two cylinder version of your engine. My engine had a cold start and if I did not deploy it, there was little chance of the engine starting even in the middle of summer (engine was quite worn) The device on my engine was a brass button which one pressed and it would stay depressed until the engine started when it would be released. My understanding was that it opened the fuel rack 100% to inject extra fuel to assist the engine to start. I have looked on the Marine Parts Europe and the unit shown there is totally different. The only schematic i can find is this one which shows a solenoid operated device in lieu of the brass button but I am sure its serves the same function.

Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Cold Start Control - MarinePartsEurope.com

2020-11-22.png

VicS

Hi, I can only make a comment on my old MD2B which was two cylinder version of your engine. My engine had a cold start and if I did not deploy it, there was little chance of the engine starting even in the middle of summer (engine was quite worn) The device on my engine was a brass button which one pressed and it would stay depressed until the engine started when it would be released. My understanding was that it opened the fuel rack 100% to inject extra fuel to assist the engine to start. I have looked on the Marine Parts Europe and the unit shown there is totally different. The only schematic i can find is this one which shows a solenoid operated device in lieu of the brass button but I am sure its serves the same function.

Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Cold Start Control - MarinePartsEurope.com
The diagram at Marine Parts is of the remote remote operation accessory for the brass button , and a solenoid alternative.

According to the owners manual the MD17 engines had an automatic cold start device ... I've no idea how that worked.