Volvo 2003 exhaust elbow removal and replacement.

Vara

Visit site
I suspect that mine is getting clogged up, any body removed and replaced one, any hints and tips.

Have got the relevant manuals and it looks fairly straight forward.

joha

Visit site
It is fairly straightforward. Had mine off a couple of weeks ago, it was clear! If you have a problem with it and need to replace I think Coastal Rides in Dover are doing stainless steel ones for about £125.00.

John

Visit site
Have done this several times. As stated, have a new gasket beforehand. Sometimes it can be difficult to seal perfectly; last time I used red hermetite and no problems since after many running hours at high load. Hardest part can be getting exhaust hose off. I use a thin screwdriver inserted and wiggled and used to lever the hose from the manifold all the way round. When replacing I applied a liberal dose of water pump grease and next time it made removal much easier.. Not much more to it. It needs to be torqued up hard. No idea what level. - I just did it as right as I felt I could get away with without risking stripping the bolts. Hope that helps. Good luck.

lampshuk

Visit site
Hi, Vara. I am considering the same job, more as a bit of preventive maintenance than in response to a concern.
On the other hand, I'm a firm believer in not making unnecessary work for myself.
Was it a tricky job, or straightforward in the end? You mentioned that you have the relevant manual: which is that? I did not see this procedure in my PDF of the workshop manual.

Neeves

Visit site
Its an easy task, really requires only common sense rather than a lot of skill. As corinthmistral says, getting the hose off is the most difficult part. It really does not need a manual - its not that difficult, but I'm sure a Volvo service engineer will want to charge oodles. Simply follow the advise above and you will not go wrong.

Joha, I had heard that stainless would give a longer life, any comment, or recommendation.

Jonathan

lampshuk

Visit site
Thanks, Geoff. Excellent posting, many thanks.
I think I'll have go at it this year. No issues yet, but the engine has about 1600 hours, so time for a look, at least.
Fingers crossed I can avoid complications like hose replacement.

PeteCooper

Visit site
From memory when I did this it's straight forward - the only thing that I would say is pay attention to which bolt goes where - there are 4 mounting bolts and two are slightly longer than the others. I put the longer ones in the holes for the shorter ones and then wondered why the two remaining bolts wouldn't engage:eek:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Its an easy task, really requires only common sense rather than a lot of skill. As corinthmistral says, getting the hose off is the most difficult part. It really does not need a manual - its not that difficult, but I'm sure a Volvo service engineer will want to charge oodles. Simply follow the advise above and you will not go wrong.

Joha, I had heard that stainless would give a longer life, any comment, or recommendation.

Jonathan

Thread here about stainless steel: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?438877-Exhaust-Elbow-S-steel-grade

Richard

lampshuk

Visit site
Just reviving this old-ish thread with a question:
I removed the 4 fixing bolts, plus a 5th short one that seems to engage in one of those "locator" jaws that Volvo love.
The elbow, however, is locked solid and doesn't move with a very strong pull - even using the exhaust hose as a lever.
Looking at the base of the elbow, it seems happily painted in position. As though it hasn't been removed since new (1988 boat - 1500 hours on the engine, which isn't much, I guess). Having said that, the exhaust has been cut and joined again, about 8 inches back from the elbow, which I suppose is where you would cut it if you were struggling to get it back on. So I'm puzzled. Maybe it was previously removed, then re-attached using some gunk that is now holding tight...

I'm torn between getting a cold chisel and giving it a whack at the base of the elbow to persuade it to let go, and leaving well enough alone, since the engine seems to run quite happily.

What are the opinions? Could I damage the elbow by bashing it? Is it worth trying heat on the elbow?

Slowtack

Visit site
Probably just adhesion at the gasket and possibly some carbon build up maybe connecting the elbow to the block. I would remove, inspect and clean at the water injection points. Mine was completely blocked on one side.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I would take care with a hammer as you may crack the casting on the engine flange. When I removed my elbow I found the carbon deposit in the water connection be smaller than a pencil. ( explains the poor water flow out the exhaust) I tride chipping a piece of the deposit & immediately cracked a piece of the cast.
That suggests a poor quality cast iron & if the same happens with the flange then you are in for deep trouble
I would suggest gently chipping with a plastic handled screwdriver in the gasket joint & moving gradually around the joint.
But first check with a mirror to see that all bolts are off , including the washers which may be gripping the studs.
I suppose another option might me to put a piece of timber in the exhaust bend & just lever up & down so you do not have to tap it too hard

As for exhaust hose, I found mine to have become a little " burned" so i changed that as well