Volvo 2003 exhaust elbow removal and replacement.

lampshuk

Visit site
Things aren't THAT bad yet!
Although, more seriously, I had thought of buying an old diesel engine, dismantling and rebuilding it as a learning experience. 750 quid is a bit expensive, though.
Plus: it would almost certainly end up sitting in dismantled state for years before being thrown away.
For that reason: Ah'm oot.

RIBW

Visit site
............ I had thought of buying an old diesel engine, dismantling and rebuilding it as a learning experience. 750 quid is a bit expensive, though.

£750 bought me a fully working spare engine with instrument panel on a transport pallet. I run it up every couple of months. Inevitably, since I bought it, the boat engine has behaved impeccably! The only items I have robbed so far are the anode holder and intake silencer. As a non-mechanic, it has been useful (because it is local to home) for ensuring I have the right tools for work on the boat engine (e.g. the square spanner for the anode and a foreshortened allen key for the starter motor bolts). Refurbishing the instrument panel was very instructive - hence the document Len found on dropbox.

Len, I was going to email you the cooling system dit I cobbled together but couldn't work out how to add an attachment to a PM.

Cheers
Bob

Len Ingalls

Visit site
£750 bought me a fully working spare engine with instrument panel on a transport pallet. I run it up every couple of months. Inevitably, since I bought it, the boat engine has behaved impeccably! The only items I have robbed so far are the anode holder and intake silencer. As a non-mechanic, it has been useful (because it is local to home) for ensuring I have the right tools for work on the boat engine (e.g. the square spanner for the anode and a foreshortened allen key for the starter motor bolts). Refurbishing the instrument panel was very instructive - hence the document Len found on dropbox.

Len, I was going to email you the cooling system dit I cobbled together but couldn't work out how to add an attachment to a PM.

Cheers
Bob

That used VP 2003 would list at $US 2500-3500 over here.

I sent you a PM with my email address if you would like to try sending your cooling info to me.

Cheers/ Len

lampshuk

Visit site
Penultimate post, I hope, since the last one should be one announcing complete success.
One last twist, though.
I left the elbow sitting on the engine for a week, in completely dry conditions and returned to find this peculiar "sweating" on it.
(last photo in the series)
https://goo.gl/photos/3pyqoLwsrditEZTN7

I wiped the drips off then tasted it. Horrible smokey, acidic taste.
I had painted the elbow with anti-rust paint, which believe is acidic, but the HCL previously used I flushed clean away.
You can see some similar drops on the engine block itself (in the oddly eroded bit where the "ports" connect", and that had no HCL or other treatment.
There was no condensation beading elsewhere on the engine.
Seems bizarre to me.
Anyone got any suggestions why my engine is apparently sweating (without doing any work!) ?

NormanS

Visit site
Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Cast iron is relatively porous, and as the elbow has been subjected to hot salt water, it is not surprising that the actual metal contains salt water. The salt is hygroscopic, and so in a damp atmosphere, water will show on the surface.

Slowtack

Visit site
Just received my new elbow from Marineparts Europe for €228 (no other connection)
Roughly same price as from US but no VAT issue
Any advice on degreasing/priming/painting welcome................