Volcano cruising - Italy

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Do any of you have suggestions to where to go, and good places to see close up action if any?
Stromboli may need some creative anchoring techniques: the sea bottom is very steep and it is not unknown for anchored boats to be found slowly drifting away from the coast with 70m of chain hanging off the bow :)

Otherwise, a recent addition to Pompei marvels: a very well preserved thermopolium, the "ancestor" of fast-food, where people could buy street food
Exceptionally well-preserved snack bar unearthed in Pompeii

Tony Cross

Visit site
Stromboli may need some creative anchoring techniques: the sea bottom is very steep and it is not unknown for anchored boats to be found slowly drifting away from the coast with 70m of chain hanging off the bow
We had the same problem at Vulcano. As we motored slowly in to the anchorage there, the depth went 70m, 70m, 70m ,70m, 5m!

Barbaria

Visit site
A short update. We didn’t get to see Pompeii no answer from most of marinas, and som was just to darn expensive.
Anchoring to risky with the winds at the time, so we have to see if we can do this later sadly.

We did go to Ischia and Volcano and bath in the hot springs there, very interesting and fun.
Stromboli did give us some anchoring challenges but we got it to stick eventually. Sadly a cloud layer covered the top when we sailed around before sunup. Etna is still undone.

02E609DB-5224-4E6A-A133-376F20AF699B.jpeg
No fireworks for us

E26EF3E7-224E-40CB-9760-7C691815C250.jpeg
Fascinating flora on Stromboli

6DBEA36D-7D0C-49A3-95D0-AAF70FE4A31B.jpeg
Vulcano anchorage

Hooligan

Visit site
We were in the Aeolians about a week ago. Steamed past Stromboli at circa 5am and saw a great eruption. Chose not to anchor in Volcano where most go but across on the southern tip of Lipari. Only boat there overnight and very calm.

Barbaria

Visit site
We were in the Aeolians about a week ago. Steamed past Stromboli at circa 5am and saw a great eruption. Chose not to anchor in Volcano where most go but across on the southern tip of Lipari. Only boat there overnight and very calm.

You where more lucky than us..
We stopped one night at Milazzese Bay on Isola Panarea after Stromboli.
Passed the western tip of sicily and anchored in fabulous bay outside Macari.

8DE80E31-70C8-4454-9E00-D8B085CF420E.jpeg

Hooligan

Visit site
You where more lucky than us..
We stopped one night at Milazzese Bay on Isola Panarea after Stromboli.
Passed the western tip of sicily and anchored in fabulous bay outside Macari.

View attachment 118031
Fantastic picture. I assume the drone made it back to the boat. If i could ever figure out how to post pictures from my photo album I would send you the picture of our Stromboli blast!! Ps I hope you visited the Egadi Islands. My favorite place in Sicily.