Volcano cruising - Italy

Barbaria

Visit site
We are currently sailing down the Italian west coast with my son. He is very fascinated by volcanoes and I would like to make a sail itinerary so we get to see the interesting places related to volcanoes, preferably close up and personal. He wants to see lava and big bangs, but I suppose the activity is not that hot down here?

Pompeii not active, but is it worth a visit? Are there any ood place to berth close by?
Is Stromboli worthy a visit, or is it just steam smoke in the distance?
Etna, to far away to see anything?

Do any of you have suggestions to where to go, and good places to see close up action if any?
Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
Stromboli is indeed worth a visit: you can walk up it at dusk if you're feeling fit (organised guided tours) or just motor round at night and watch the 'Sciara del Fuoco/ stream of fire' running from the summit and into the sea.

Vulcano is extinct but still can be quite hot in places and smells of sulphur - that's worth the climb.

Etna is good - but I've only seen it from sea level or looking down from Easyjet!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
For Pompeii go up the river Arno there quite s few small yards with staging to moor to at around 25 Euro a night bus stop just across the road . Lots of wild life on the river banks .
Deers wild horses otters . Beautiful river to spend a few nights on .

Stromboli as Metabarca said
A dark sail is well worth it . You be unlucky not to see any fireworks .
vulcano anchorages both side of the island
A walk to the to worth the time . No fireworks but a great view looking into a bubble crate .

Last edited:

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Are you sure Vic; the River Arno's up by Pisa, or is there another one further south?
We visited Pompeii, Herculaneum and Vesuvius from a berth at Torre de Greco just south of Naples, it and the first two are on the railway line up to Naples, Etna's via the railway and regular minibuses from the nearest train station to the summit. As others have said, Stromboli and Vulcano worth visiting and straightforward; Etna's probably closed at the moment, but if that changes we made an expensive, but good day trip in a pick-up from Riposto.

Barbaria

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions and input. Torre del greco is noted. Should be possible to use Sorrento also and rent a car I guess.
I will have to check if it is open. Stromboli at night, sounds very exciting, will do.
@sailaboutvic I think @BobnLesley are correct regarding Arno river, we are past Piza. (the forum want it to be “pasta pizza”)?

BTW. What is up with the spell correcting on this forum? It constantly corrects wrongly……very irritating ?

rib

Visit site
I did all those volcanos when sailing thru. But renting a car and going up etna was by far the best.. Hot moving lava one side snow skiing the other. Brilliant 2019.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Oddly enough YouTube threw this up for me to watch yesterday. I really enjoyed - only the first five or ten minutes are volcano-related and you can skip about a minute at the beginning for credits. Bit different from the usual bubbling fields of lava but rather sobering and fascinating. The video does indirectly touch on the theme of mortality and morbidity if your son is young.

Hooligan

Visit site
Second all of the above. Vulcano def worth a visit and a lovely walk to the top. Lots of sulphur steam and good views of the crater as well as the islands. Pompei is really a must just for the history and how well preserved it is. He will love it and of course it would set the scene so as to speak re Volcanoes. Oh and don’t forget to taste the Etna wine...outstanding.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Vulcano is not extinct, it last erupted in the 1880s. Well worth the climb to the top.

Stop in Catania and look for a volcanologist guided tour of Etna. Most tourist offices should have details. You'll get a very rewarding and educational tour, not to the summit but you will see several of the recent eruption cones on the flanks. Most Etna eruptions are flank eruptions.

Barbaria

Visit site
Thanks @rib rent a car to Etna is on the list. What would be the best marina to use for a trip to Etna?
Thanks @grumpy_o_g we will take a look at the film today. Son just arrived today :)
@Hooligan Etna wine, good mention, will do a lot (y)
Thanks @Tony Cross Is the marina in Catania good as a base for trips to Etna?

rib

Visit site
Hi. We stayed in regusa miles away. Just see how close you can get... Tip on car hiring go overboard on photos before picking car up.. Some of the car hire companies have dodgy reputation.. Lots of photos sorts it

Hooligan

Visit site
Yes, it's where we stayed when we visited Etna.
View attachment 115122

This was Vulcano, with Stomboli in the far distance.
View attachment 115125
Catania is easier for Etna but to be frank the marina is not great at all and Catania itself is in my view not one of the places I would go to visit. Go to Syracusa. Simply stunning place and then rent a car. The drive might be longer but it is well worth it to see one of the best places you can visit anywhere. There are 4 options re marinas or anchoring. The big marina on the north entrance as you approach from the North. I didn’t go there but didn’t look great. The marina on the edge of the old town near where the cruise ships dock. Slightly chaotic - typical - and if you pay cash you will get a good discount! Then there is the esplanade right next to the marina. That’s a drop anchor and reverse in and is cheap as chips Ypu will need to contact the municipality to pay the 20 euros or so. I can get a contact of you want. Finally you can anchor outside in the bay. Anchor on mud. Holds well and is usually well protected. The old city is magnificent. Can’t speak highly enough. Car rentals near the marina/esplanade at good rates. Restaurants and food spectacular. If you go to Ragusa there is a no Marina there and you must go to the valley of the temples at sunset. Again easy to rent a car. You are going to have so much fun. I am envious.