VM Italian engines

Bouba

Visit site
Look everyone knows there wasn’t a problem with the Land Rover engine. It was the gear box

CLB

Visit site
Look everyone knows there wasn’t a problem with the Land Rover engine. It was the gear box

No, that the later TD6 and its 'made of chocolate' GM gearbox. o_O

I own 2 Range Rovers. One is a classic with a VM engine, the second is an L322 with a TD6 and chocolate gearbox. Boy I have made some bad decisions in my time :ROFLMAO:

rafiki_

Visit site
I have never seen a Defender with a VM engine, the early Defenders i have seen had the 2.5 Turbo Diesel or naturally aspirated, i have seen the VM in early Range Rovers.
Agreed, the Defender was launched in 1989 with the Gemini 2 turbo diesel. Great engine. Gem 3 came next, then the 5 cyl rubbish engine with electronic unit injectors. This replace£ by the Ford Puma diesel with the bonnet bulge. Prior to Defender the Land Rover 90/110/130 had a 2.5 na or turbo diesel. Pretty agricultural, and limited power. The 4 cyl VM engine was used in the Range Rover for several years, mid ‘80’s. Discovery was launched with the Gem 2 and replaced with the Gem 3 when the Romulus update came along in 1992. This had the restyled interior with airbags.

rafiki_

Visit site
No, that the later TD6 and its 'made of chocolate' GM gearbox. o_O

I own 2 Range Rovers. One is a classic with a VM engine, the second is an L322 with a TD6 and chocolate gearbox. Boy I have made some bad decisions in my time :ROFLMAO:
Sorry, wrong forum. The old LT 77 gearbox which started life in the SD1 was rubbish. This was replaced by the R380 box in 92. Much better, even allowed for the occasional gear change. 6 cyl diesel came along in the P38a Rangie with the Bimmer diesel. Much better refinement apart from the beaming thrum at 1800 revs.

lynallbel

Visit site
many early defenders had VM engines. I think the 200 came in with the release of the discovery, so around 1990.

No VMs fitted to UK Defender models, all petrol and diesels were land rovers own.

Edit must read rest of thread first!

lynallbel

Visit site
Sorry, wrong forum. The old LT 77 gearbox which started life in the SD1 was rubbish. This was replaced by the R380 box in 92. Much better, even allowed for the occasional gear change. 6 cyl diesel came along in the P38a Rangie with the Bimmer diesel. Much better refinement apart from the beaming thrum at 1800 revs.

LT77 = crunchy second, learn to double declutch all good.

R400

Visit site
When Japanese motorbikes first arrived in the 60s they were roundly criticised for rusting when left in the garden, unlike beezeers , Triumphs et al. Thenpeoplrealised they didn’t puke oil out all over themselves !
just sayin