VisitMyHarbour.com - On-line charts - now THAT's what I'm talking about!

jimmynoboat

Visit site
I've been trying to remember/rediscover the site where you can view UK marine charts on-line. Finally found them 'www.visitmyharbour.com'

Every now and then, but not very often, a little gem like this turns up on your radar and reasures you that there are people out there who genuinely want to provide a service and are not fat cats who believe that boatowner = cash cow = Kerching!

Brilliant and refreshing site that I will be spending a lot of time browsing. In fact, I'm all over it right now planning to poke the boat's nose out of Plymouth Sound for the first time with me at the helm :)

For just a little bit more than the cost of a single Admiralty chart you can view 400 of them for a year! and read pilotage notes for all ports, find out what's there once you tie up, view photos, videos ....

BTW - Congrats the team behind it on their 1st anniversary.

Last edited:

snowleopard

Visit site
As they say on the site, it doesn't work on current versions of Firefox and they think it's Firefox's fault so aren't planning to do anything about it.

Dipper

Visit site
As they say on the site, it doesn't work on current versions of Firefox and they think it's Firefox's fault so aren't planning to do anything about it.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.6 and it works for me although I've only tried the free/preview pages.

Useful site. Added to my favourites.

snowleopard

Visit site
I'm using Firefox 3.6.6 and it works for me although I've only tried the free/preview pages.

Tried again. The mouse wouldn't work for panning (it does on IE) but I was able to use the wheel for zooming and the keyboard for panning so it was adequate.

V1701

Visit site
That is very useful, thanks! Especially now Wiley Online Almanac is no more. I have latest version (3.5.10) of Firefox and everything that I've tried so far worked inc. the sample chart of Falmouth after I had registered...:)

(Haven't tried with wheelmouse though...)

Last edited:

Overner

Visit site
Thanks from VisitMyHarbour

Hi All,

Many thanks to those who appreciate our hard work and enjoy our site.

Yep, there are big problems with the new firefox browser, and it is not specific to our site only. We use firefox all the time and when they brought out the new version on 22/6 we installed it and straight away realised it didn't work with the full screen zoomify charts.

Have reported it to them, and found out there are many, many issues..to do with flash, full screen videos etc.

Firefox fans: Simple solution...download version 3.5.10 here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

that's what we did..it works perfectly, issued on 22/6 also. See release notes here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.5.10/releasenotes/

Every time firefox brings out a new version there are issues that need sorting...it's best never to have the very latest version till it's been "seasoned" and the bugs sorted...which they will do eventually.

We've also downloaded IE8 which is a big improvement and actually seems faster than firefox now ? Used to be the other way around.

We've sold quite a few chart packages now, and buyers seem pleased...read one review here:

http://daisygracebaycruiser20no1.blogspot.com/2010/06/online-uk-admiralty-charts.html

Thanks again for your interest, we always welcome feedback and local information...we also like talking to customers. It's our 1st Birthday soon, and we intend to continue doing what we love, serving the sailing and boating communities.

Maury Mackenzie www.visitmyharbour.com

steverow

Visit site
VisitMyHarbour and Coastal Explorer 2010

I'm glad that people are finally discovering this wonderful website at last.
There is a great deal of very hard work gone into it.
The new release of Coastal Explorer due in the UK later this year, already has VisitMyHarbour integrated into it's POI (Points of interest) network user guide.
I am a UK beta tester for Coastal Explorer and would like to thank Steve Bryant and Maury Mackenzie for their advice, help, support and freindship during and beyond the integration...and all for free, unstintingly.
Coastal Explorer features information entries from VMH all around the UK and direct links to the page concerned as a network guide book feature. We have decided that this is the best possible detailed data available in the UK, although there may be a possibilty of a further integration, with Boatlaunch UK after the release, especially for trailer sailors.

Here are a couple of screenshots of VisitMyHarbour in use on CE2010 Beta.

CE-VMH-YBW.jpg

VMH-CE-Rye.jpg

The VMH Entries are reperesented by the little Coastal Explorer Shields/Compass and they are all around the UK, the red and green flags are Active Captain entries and the blue Info symbols are NGA sailing directions. For US users there are other guide books available such as ACC. The Three lines of CE entries you can see below London are Links to Nearly every Marine related websites available and new ones are posted as they become available.
We also have integration and links with www.yachtpilot.net for their near continental entries and I should take this opportunity to thank Rod Lord of Yachtpilot.net for his cooperation too.

Coastal Explorer has many new interactive features such as Text Weather, Coastal Observations, METAR Stations, Navtex, and Graphical Weather Forecasts It has multiple instrument setups enabling several instrument sets available at the click of a mouse depending on whether you are sailing to the wind, motor cruising, or gingerly nosing up a small drying creek and needing depth trend and forward data.
It was originally marketed here as Chart Navigator Pro by Maptech under License, but when Maptech was split up into small pieces and asset stripped in 2008 that arrangement ceased. Newer versions of CE have not been available here for about three years.
Arrangements have been made for UK and European users to download the program direct from Rose Point in Seattle by contacting them at www.rosepointnav.com for the 2009 version, whereupon you can join the Beta group and get the latest versions as they come out.
I have no commercial interest by the way, I'm just a Beta Tester and adviser on Europeanisation.

Cheers to all, and once again thanks to Steve Bryant at VisitMyHarbour and happy birthday to VMH.

Last edited:

DaveRo

Visit site
Full screen zooming and panning on the demo chart works for me in Firefox 3.6.6 AFAICS; except that the mouse wheel only zooms out - I don't know if it's supposed to do that but it feels wrong. Left clicking zooms in, all the on-screen controls work...

But it might depend on the version of the Flash plugin that you have - I have 10,0,32,18 according to this site.