Visiting yachts in Wales - anchoring?

Molteni

Visit site
Just a matter of time before Wales follows England in allowing boats to visit marinas without quarantine, but until then, can we anchor at say Dale or Oxwich Bay without such problems???

Birdseye

Visit site
Impossible to say. In east wales I see no evidence of enforcement of the rules so I wouldnt think twice of anchoring here. West wales is more of a tourism area and I do know that heddlu have been putting a bit of effort into sending back camper vans visiting from England. The official line of course will be that you have to follow the official rules and we have seen some examples here of vigilante action contacting the authorities, so even if the authorities arent on the look out they may be told of your arrival.

I'd stick to the rules if for no other reason than what do you do if you arrive in Milford and its late / blowey / lumpy and someone tells you to go away?

Praxinoscope

Visit site
The text below is the situation in Ceredgion on the West Coast, Ceredigion C.C. 'manage' the three harbours, Aberystwyth, (not the Marina) Aberaeron and New Quay, as users we received this notification from them last week. Don't know if this partly answers your question.

"..................... Ceredigion County Council has now reviewed its position in relation to activities within its Harbours. The Council believes that from 6 July 2020 it is safe for locally based harbour users to access those facilities on the condition that they comply with the current Welsh Government advice which includes that there should be no overnight stays on boats, no landing in any place beyond the immediate local area and a return to the point of departure. Activities should obviously only be undertaken with crews of people from the same household. As an Authority, we would also request that harbour users are mindful of the potential impact that they could have on other water users and to not place unnecessary pressure on the RNLI, coastguard and emergency services*.
As was indicated in the press release on 4 June, the Council’s Harbour Offices at Aberystwyth, Aberaeron and New Quay have been closed as of Monday 23 March 2020, and we do not currently have a date to reopen these as this decision will only be made when it is considered safe and appropriate to do so."

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Are the Oxwich Bay moorings maintained and rentable?

Nice spot, especially so now the Tenby visitor moorings are gone from what a nieghbour told me last week.

Birdseye

Visit site
Are the Oxwich Bay moorings maintained and rentable?

Nice spot, especially so now the Tenby visitor moorings are gone from what a nieghbour told me last week.
No public moorings AFAIK. Some rubbish on the seabed but you certainly can anchor there.
I see visiting boats coming into the Cardiff barrage and tieing up at the sailing clubs

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Good sport in the barrage locks. People forgetting to untie their bow line and trying to move off.
Saw someone do that at some point over the weekend... can't remember if it was Portishead/Cardiff/Swansea though. Always fun to see :).
Edit: Christ, for some reason I read stern line, not bow!

Also had the opposite happen to me in the Barrage... a proper salty-sea-dog type fisherman unhooked my rafting line on him when my engine wasn't started. Oh how I laughed seeing that we'd turned 45 degrees as I went to start the engine.

Other threads that may be of interest