Visit to Ipswich

Crazy-Diamond

Visit site
Hello all. I'm planning a visit up to Ipswich in July, from the Crouch. I have been to the Stour, Shotley and Levington before, and up the Orwell to the bridge, but never sailed to Ipswich. There appear to be two marinas in the big basin? Neptune and Ipswich Haven. Is one preferable to the other? I'd be staying maybe two nights and planning to explore the Orwell from there a bit more, maybe a night at anchor. I presume the lock is 24hr?

Giles

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The lock is 24hr.

The Haven marina is on the left as you exit the lock, it has a pub/restaurant on site and is usually a little quieter than Neptune, which is on the right as you exit the lock. Neptune is along the town waterfront, is a tiny bit closer to the pubs etc, bit can be noisier and you get public walking by peering into your boat if you are near the quay.

I prefer the Haven myself.

Leighb

Visit site
I have never stayed at Neptune, did try to contact them once on Ch 80 but got no reply!, Ipswich Haven are very helpful and have a number of designated visitor berths which are close to the gate and the Marina office.
It is a bit further from the town and restaurants (when they are open) but then it is a bit quieter than Neptune which is right by the University and pubs etc.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
I've stayed in both. Neptune was a lot more expensive than Haven, (check the prices) and the big draw back is that the ablutions are behind the office across a dark car park... I'd go for Haven

johnalison

Visit site
I have been to both over the years. On the whole, the Haven is more salubrious but both are OK. I have had noisy Saturday evenings at the Haven when there was a wedding booked, with the noise stopping at around 11, but there is less town noise.

The lock is no problem and has a pontoon on the starboard when entering, and a waiting pontoon outside where you can harvest seagull guano. The usual routine is to call the lock on VHF after passing the Orwell bridge. It can save a bit of bother if you wait for free flow at the lock, around an hour or so before HW.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have been to both over the years. On the whole, the Haven is more salubrious but both are OK. I have had noisy Saturday evenings at the Haven when there was a wedding booked, with the noise stopping at around 11, but there is less town noise.

The lock is no problem and has a pontoon on the starboard when entering, and a waiting pontoon outside where you can harvest seagull guano. The usual routine is to call the lock on VHF after passing the Orwell bridge. It can save a bit of bother if you wait for free flow at the lock, around an hour or so before HW.

Probably worth a mention that the marina is on CH80 and the lock is on CH68

xyachtdave

Visit site
Neptune marina have sorted me a berth a couple of times during the maritime festival at short notice. One year we were allowed to berth in the lifting dock and another we were broadside on to Isaac's Bar.

It's certainly lively at night!

Been into the Haven a couple of times, both times the berths offered have been very tight to point I refused one of them as the boat was bigger than the space. Might be worth thinking about if your boat is difficult to handle or you are on your own.

johnalison

Visit site
I have always found the Ipswich Haven Marina very friendly and helpful with good facilities. Call them on ch80 after exiting the lock.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
If we are going in a summer weekend we usually phone in first. In the early post-Covid era this might be a good idea anyway.

The berths at the Haven are certainly tight, but it is usually sheltered and you can take your time about it. Larger boats often go alongside anyway.

pioneer

Visit site
If using the Haven it's also advisable to arrange with the office to get fuel on the way in. If you d it on the way out you have to return to the office to pay and then back to the boat which can take a bit of time and mess up your plans for the day. just a thought. Always found the Haven good and staff helpful, but not tried Neptune.

Cantata

Visit site
We use the Haven more, I guess, probably because it is usually quieter there. Some berths are a bit tight for larger boats, but then if you explain any limitations when you call them up to book, they will allocate you a suitable berth.