Visit to Ipswich

alandalus11

Visit site
This is just my experience but on every occasion I have been to Haven they tend to cram you in like cattle on the visitors pontoons. If you are on the starboard side of the visitors pontoon opposite the linear it can be very tight to get in or out when there are bigger boats on the linear. We have also booked berths in the past only to find out these have been cancelled on arrival. Been in Neptune's as well and found this to be better getting into berths and you don't tend to be corralled into one visitors area.

The lock can sometimes have a wait of an hour or longer during heavy periods and considering this will be the first time we can officially stay onboard the number of boats coming in and out could be high so be prepared to wait but as johnalison said there is a waiting pontoon outside if you don't mind the seagull poop over the soles of your shoes.

johnalison

Visit site
I did my first job in Ipswich in, er, 1963, and I've always had a soft spot for the place. It is not the best part of the town, but the walk up past the Giles grandma statue always pleases me. From the Haven, you can get a paper at the Co-op a few hundred yards down the main road.

johnalison

Visit site
It is noticeable how Ipswich council makes it difficult to park and is fixated on getting car drivers to not come into town by car...

Read not come into town at all and how many empty shops there are.
There is a perfectly good park-and-ride though.

Aquaboy

Visit site
Or don't live Woodbridge way or fight your way through traffic to get to Copdock

Born and bred in Ipswich.......... always been a dump

johnalison

Visit site
Or don't live Woodbridge way or fight your way through traffic to get to Copdock

Born and bred in Ipswich.......... always been a dump
Not always. Back in the '60s the population was almost entirely local Suffolk, with the local speech to boot. I realised at the end of 18/12 there that I had scacely met a single person that I hadn't liked. It may have been a bit quiet but it was civilised.

pvb

Visit site
Not always. Back in the '60s the population was almost entirely local Suffolk, with the local speech to boot. I realised at the end of 18/12 there that I had scacely met a single person that I hadn't liked. It may have been a bit quiet but it was civilised.

It does seem rather different today.

Aquaboy

Visit site
So in the 60s they built Greyfriars, stood halve abandon and cut off from the town centre for years. Big dual carriage way sweeping down from St. Mathews and not going anywhere.
So twenty years ago they developed the water front which stands half done and cut off from the town.........
...... even the football team who somehow managed to win the FA cup once is only ever going to be second rate............
I feel better now......

johnalison

Visit site
What s the point.., drive thirty miles to catch a but for the last two miles? Better park at the out of town shopping centre where you are welcomed because they recognise that car owners have the money to spend in their shops.
I must admit that we don't often go except by boat, but we come from the south, so it's not hard to do P&R.

Years ago there was a bakery off the London road that sold real crusty bread. One day we returned to the town to find it still there. At about 4pm there was only one loaf on the rack but the baker came in with a basket of fresh loaves and emptied them into a bin. we asked for a loaf and were handed the old one. We protested feebly, but the lady kindly gave us a fresh one, saying that the whole batch had already been sold and was about to be put on the train heading for London restaurants. We ate the whole loaf (small white) at one sitting.

peter gibbs

Visit site
I have never stayed at Neptune, did try to contact them once on Ch 80 but got no reply!, Ipswich Haven are very helpful and have a number of designated visitor berths which are close to the gate and the Marina office.
It is a bit further from the town and restaurants (when they are open) but then it is a bit quieter than Neptune which is right by the University and pubs etc.

Give Haven a ring in advance and they may allocate a pier or even a berth in advance. Visitors get a slot right in front of the HM's residence which can be unoccupied from 1800 hrs. Someone will give you the gate and shower codes. All very nice and well maintained.

The lock is also well organised; call on the approach and watch for the green light. Put onto the long wooden pontoon on stbd. Make fast - the water can move about a bit. Best raft if busy - the vertical lines on pt side are sturdy but less user friendly.

PWG

Jokani

Visit site
The lock is also well organised;

To expand on this:
  1. Call sign 'Ipswich Lock' VHF #68 - Quoted elsewhere differently but I have found in practice 'Ipswich Lock' is the most often used call sign.
  2. Most people call after they have passed under the Orwell Bridge, if you call earlier you may l be asked to call again.
  3. On entry, I believe mooring to the floating pontoon on the starboard side is the only option, the port side is only used by larger vessels, I could be wrong.
  4. The floating pontoon is low to the water, so I always set the fenders just touching the water.
  5. When busy and rafting is required, I have always been given appropriate instruction by the Lock Master, including which boat to raft against.
  6. I have found you get given permission to enter the lock much quicker, if you address the Lock Master as 'Sir' at least 3 times! (As yet I have never encounted a Lock Ma'am!)

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Do they still play music in the lock and offer advice such as 'hold on tight here we go'?

Very occasionally I have found that the pontoon wasn't in position because a large vessel had transited and they hadn't put it back yet.