Visas an' stuff.

G

Visas an\' stuff.

For anyone who was busted for smoking wacky-baccy back in the 60's, or who has been photographed on any anti-war demonstrations recently, you might just find getting a visa for the USA isn't as easy as it used to be. And you might even need one of the new breed of electronic passports (?).

With such an increase in 'Homeland Security' red tape and restrictions, I'm wondering whether there isn't a case to be made for the Jester Challenge having an alternative destination to Newport, R.I. ? (alternative in the sense of "as well as" rather than "instead of")

Wouldn't be a true trans-At replica of course, as per the original, but might actually be more in keeping with the spirit of Hasler and Chichester's abhorence of restrictive rules and regulations - albeit in a different area.

Barbados sounds like a good place to finish ...

Thoughts ?

Colin

Bajansailor

Visit site
Re: Visas an\' stuff.

Last time I sailed into Newport RI (almost 13 years ago now) we were greeted by a charming official who cleared us in while we were doing our washing in the launderette (near to?) to the Customs House. He had a reputation far and wide for being everything that the stereotyped American Customs official is not.
A wonderful chap.
Unfortunately he retired soon after, and I dont know who they have now.

Hence I would agree with Colin - Barbados sounds like an excellent choice of destination to me!

And I will organise some rum punches for when you arrive!

andlauer

Visit site

Bonjour
In July 2006 I was welcome, it's the real term, by a charming custom officer.
I asked the harbour master for the custom contact. They gave me a phone number and an apointment was taken for the next day. I was free to go ashore before the date.
As I hadn't the 20 USD in cash required he proposed to meet the next day at the NYC. He made a mistake and went to the NYYC. He was nearly kicked off (with the uniform and gun) by the snobbish. When he arrived at the NYC he was welcome with a coffee and they called me on the phone. I was at the boat yard! He enjoyed the difference !
Newport is a civilised area!
More seriously to enter the USA you must have a biometric passport (it's a bit more tricky but it's the main rule). You must have a visa when you don't come by an airline or a shipping company. The JC seems a relevant case and I had no question or problem. I didn't heard about any visa problem for the Jester Challenge exept a late entry with delay problems.
The spirit is the visa exemption.
Eric

oldvarnish

Visit site

I arrived Newport RI in 2006. A girl, hardly taller than her machine gun was long, said ' Can we gett his over with quickly, please? I want to take my daughter in the (July4th) parade.'
That's the sort of customs I like.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com

No - you can use SSR.... It is really only the immigration issues that seem to worry the Americans... Overstaying your visa time or keeping the boat longer than a year I think it is becomes an issue theoretically but when I got close to a year and tried to renew or find out the consequences of overstaying the boat nobody was interested or actually knew...

andlauer

Visit site

Bonjour
I hope so becaus Sterenn arrived in the US on July the 4th and I come back to sail her back on July the 10th. I don't know what is the accepted period for foreign boats. is it 18 month like in France ?
My crew for the return tried to have a visa witout a rendez-vous. The answer was : you need an interview. As it was already a bit late he had to postpone his flight.
You really need biometric passeports now or, as mine older but with a running visa.
Eric