Views on frequency of cleaning heat exchanger matrix

eddystone

Visit site
I have a Beta 30, installed July 2018. For various reasons didn't clock up 50 hours until about July last year when I cleaned out the tubes - not blocked by any means but not insignificant deposits and surprisingly bits of vegetation that had somehow evaded the Vetus inlet filter. Beta do recommend doing this every year but on my particular installation it's a bit of a faff to get the end plates off because of obstructions. Given I don't expect to do more than 100 hours a year, probably a lot less, I was thinking about doing it every other year. How often do others clean the matrix?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I have often thought about doing mine but as we sail in relatively clean waters and there has never been any sign of either reduced flow through the exhaust or the engine overheating, I have left them alone. They have done 4000 hours.

Richard

VicS

Visit site
I have a Beta 30, installed July 2018. For various reasons didn't clock up 50 hours until about July last year when I cleaned out the tubes - not blocked by any means but not insignificant deposits and surprisingly bits of vegetation that had somehow evaded the Vetus inlet filter. Beta do recommend doing this every year but on my particular installation it's a bit of a faff to get the end plates off because of obstructions. Given I don't expect to do more than 100 hours a year, probably a lot less, I was thinking about doing it every other year. How often do others clean the matrix?
Be guided by experience.
Any significant scaling will reduce the cooling ability.
If you leave it longer than recommended keep an eye on the engine temperature and be prepared to act if necessary.

Habebty

www.crittergetteronline.com
I clean my Beta 20 tube stack every year. I leave the end caps to soak in some brick cleaner, and a quick brick cleaner soak for the stack. Something very therapeutic watching the limescale fizz away.
No apparent damage to the stack using the brick cleaner either.

Ammonite

Visit site
Weekend sailng around the Solent Apr to October. Beta 20hp. HE cleaned every other year. Few bits of fine weed and maybe one or two tubes blocked so seems about the right regime.

neilf39

www.konsortkoto.wordpress.com
Did mine after 3 years and no deposits but quite alot of weed at the inlet end cap so glad I did it. It must be fine strands that get through the vetus filter. It was quite a faff as various bits have to be got out of the way to get the stack out. Next time I will move the alternator and remove it via the front.

eddystone

Visit site
Did mine after 3 years and no deposits but quite alot of weed at the inlet end cap so glad I did it. It must be fine strands that get through the vetus filter. It was quite a faff as various bits have to be got out of the way to get the stack out. Next time I will move the alternator and remove it via the front.
That's the way I have to do it as the high rise exhaust is in the way at the back; I have to disconnect the strap and swing it out of the way but getting the washers back in place when re-attaching the strap is a struggle.

robbieg

Visit site
Is this just a Beta thing. I have looked at a few Yanmar heat exchangers over over the years that hadn't been touched since new-no sign of any scaling. Just curious to know whether all marines with heat exchangers should have the stack pulled frequently or whether it is a specific issue for Beta's.

WoodyP

Visit site
I have cleaned mine once in just under 300 hours. I managed to not get it to seal at first attempt, then broke the bolt by over tightening. Replaced with a as bolt, only to be told by Beta that it needed to be a bronze bolt, which they could supply. Unlike Habebty, I didn't find it at all therapeutic.

Rappey

Visit site
Cleaning ?? Whats that? Ive been sailing the solent area in my current boat for nearly 29 years.. Boat has original 38 yr old impellor and shows no signs of failing any time soon..
Have a bowman heat exchanger.. I actually replaced one of the endcaps 2 years ago as i tend to stand on it to get in and out of the boat when the engine cover is removed and the steel hose clip finally cut it.. First time ive looked in the heat exchanger, it was spotless..
the only thought i can give is that my seawater pump pulley wheel is rather large compared to the crank pulley wheel so i have a large rate of water flow.. this can surely be the only explanation as to why my parts seem to go on and on ?

Habebty

www.crittergetteronline.com
I have cleaned mine once in just under 300 hours. I managed to not get it to seal at first attempt, then broke the bolt by over tightening. Replaced with a as bolt, only to be told by Beta that it needed to be a bronze bolt, which they could supply. Unlike Habebty, I didn't find it at all therapeutic.
Funnily enough, I sheared a cap bolt the first time I did it, but had a spare SS bolt that fitted until I got a replacement bronze bolt. I often find a few bits of engine anode in there sometimes, which does need changing every year.

dutyhog

Visit site
Never cleaned ours on a Beta 30 in its 18 years and 860 hours. I’m sure there are bits of anodes and an impeller vane amongst general muck, but the water temperature has always read the same so far. No doubt it will be a terrible job to service when it does need it.

smithy

Visit site
If I leave my Beta 28 for three years at least quater of the tubes will be blocked all though no cooling problems. I find the two year mark about right. A lot will depend on the level of growth in your area, I've had barnacles growing in there.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
It's been suggested on here that cleaning the heat exchanger elements with brick cleaner or whatever only exposes bare metal again and speeds the formation of deposits in the tubes, which then slows when the metal has a light coating of scale.

I've no idea whether this is true or not, but only ever cleaned my Beta heat exchanger by 'rodding' through each tube with a suitable diameter long screwdriver (I've also seen mention of using welding rod), removing restriction and any obstruction, but not trying to get every last trace of scale gone.