Viewing dome vs IP65 CCTV Camera ?

eebygum

Visit site
There was an ealier discussion within the Jester community on the best source for a viewing dome...... Would anybody agree with me that this has it's restrictions in that there is miniumum visability from within the cabin given the low height... and a better modern day equivalent would be a weatherproof (IP65) CCTV camera (they can have a 18- - 270 degree vision so you may want two or a motor for rotation) at spreaders or mastheight giving you better visability ? You would not have it on all the time and it would be linked up to your PC/LCD setup (my Jester entry is not going to be low tech) and I have a windvane and solar panel to keep the batteries toppied up (which is nt against the spirit of the Challenge.... the spirit is to get to the starting line and do it single handed without assistance)

This is a practical solution as I know of one Contessa 26 which crossed the Atlantic had such a system.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers
Andrew

Hi to everybody I met at the meetup in London during the boatshow

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I have never had a viewing dome or a tv camera for that matter. I generally get out into the cockpit for a look around. The only time I was prevented getting into the cockpit was when waves were breaking over my stormboards and I didn't want to open them to go into the cockpit as I was getting enough water into the cabin from it spurting between the stormboards. I had a wind induced list of 60 degrees at the time so I'm not sure a dome would have been much use to me as I would only been looking at the waves that just went past to the East. I could see nothing to the West as it would have been blocked by the hull - of course a viewing dome in the bottom of the hull may be useful for a Tony Bullimore type incident. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I would not consider a tv camera from the point of view of power consumption - but then I wouldn't have a clue how much power they use. But I even turn my handheld GPS off which runs off my 12 volt system to save power. You really only need to turn it on when you need to know where you are. I must admit the discussion on radar is amusing me. I happen to have radar as it came with the boat but never turn it on while sailing, although I have used it under engine on channel crossings a couple of time in limited visability.

fireball

Visit site
The problem with the electronics is the potential for it to break ... and therefore unable to fulfill the requirement it was installed to meet.
I would've thought the benefit of the dome was that you could just stick your headup and have a look without having to get out of the cabin ... whereas a CCTV system would require the starting up of the screen and camera before being able to see what is going on - much quicker to just nip out into the cockpit and have a look - unless you are unable to do that due to the conditions - which is when the CCTV system is likely to break anyway - so you'd need the backup dome ...

IMO CCTV comes into it's own where:
1) You've got the power to have it turned on continuously
2) You've got inaccessible places that you need to see or see from (large vessels)

So unless you want it to see further and mount it higher I couldn't see a significant benefit.

TimDaniel

Visit site
I see the Jester Challenge as back to basics rather than back to as much technology as you can cram on board. I dare say some will want to enter out and out carbon racers as well .... so that they can beat anyone sailing a Folkboat! Get a good idea and someone will always come along to bugger it up!

eebygum

Visit site
I have to admit ther I'm erring on the side of going with neither, partly for the reasons you highlight.

I did'nt want to cut a big hole in my cabin roof for a dome, not least because it will ruin the lines of the beautiful Contessa; so I thought hang on. I will have a laptop anyway so why not just hook the cameras which would be a lot simpler. I certainly would not consider putting radar in; because of the weight and power consumption.

Sods law is that you will get a big dollop of bird dropping on the camera first day out anyway.

Cheers

purplerobbie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit ther I'm erring on the side of going with neither, partly for the reasons you highlight.

I did'nt want to cut a big hole in my cabin roof for a dome, not least because it will ruin the lines of the beautiful Contessa; so I thought hang on. I will have a laptop anyway so why not just hook the cameras which would be a lot simpler. I certainly would not consider putting radar in; because of the weight and power consumption.

Sods law is that you will get a big dollop of bird dropping on the camera first day out anyway.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]
You could remove the forward hatch and install it over there?
Keep the hatch and refit it when you get back.

There is a boat in the Albert Dock called Atheon (spelling?) it has crossed the atlantic twice and it's only 20 ish feet long.
I was talking to the owner and he fitted a dome on the first crossing only for it to break.
He then made his own.

Rob

eebygum

Visit site
Rob,
Thanks, which side of the dock is the boat in ... Coburg or Brunswick ? I'm going down tomorrow Sunday and would like a look or meet the chap.

Cheers
Andrew

purplerobbie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Rob,
Thanks, which side of the dock is the boat in ... Coburg or Brunswick ? I'm going down tomorrow Sunday and would like a look or meet the chap.

Cheers
Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi
It's not in the marina it's in the albert dock. Its just a 5 min walk from the marina.
When it was in the marina it was more or less where you are now.
I spoke to him when it was in the marina and i cant remember his name?

Good luck
Rob

Bajansailor

Visit site
Just a suggestion.... instead of a dome or a camera, you could have a solid dodger over your companionway, and this could have windows in the sides and the front.
You could take it one step further by extending it aft into the cockpit by (say) a foot or so (or the width of the bridge deck), to give extra protection to the companionway entrance in heavy weather.

For some inspiring reading about cruising around the world in a 'small' vessel have a look at http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin68.html

This is the first installment - lots more after this!
And somewhere in this lot should be a photo of the solid dodger that I am trying to explain above, and failing dismally at doing so.
'Direction' has a dodger like this, and it works brilliantly.

I first met Dave and Jaja on Direction here in Barbados in February 1989, and was so impressed by all the neat ideas and wealth of experience that had gone into the re-fit of Direction (she was re-named Direction from Martini after the big re-fit).

Thought at the time that their Cal 25 seemed a wee bit small for two people to live on board.

Met them again 6 years later in Antigua. In the meantime they had sailed around the world, had two kids on the way, number three was in the offing, and they were thinking that maybe it was time to look for a bigger boat....... an amazing couple!

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
I've opted for a dome, protected by a three-legged stainless steel guard. Not only does the dome let a lot of light into the cabin, it also provides the only place to stand up fully to pull up my trousers. Joy!
These domes are quite hard to find, but are made (I believe) in the St malo region of France. I bought mine for £40 at the Beaulieu boat jumble. The legs were another £5, but had to be cut down and feet added. To fit the dome, I built up the main hatch out of epoxy and plywood, shaping it to blend in with the rest of the boat. 3M plastic retorer was used to take out the scratches in the dome (it had seen a hard life) and rather than bolt it to the raised hatch, I sandwiched it inbetween two layers of ply, for a neater finish. At sea, it works well, but visibility is reduced in spray - as you would expect.

G

The problem with CCTV is that the resolution will be so bad that you won't be able to pick out a ship until shortly before it hits you. And that's if your boat is stationary. If your boat/the camera is moving then the image will be even more fuzzy. Add to that possibly low light...

If you're lucky you might get resolution approaching a previous generation mobile phone. Try pointing one at a dot on the horizon, wave the phone backwards and forward, and take a picture. Than have a look at how much detail you can make out, and imagine a ship on the horizon!