Vid of our summer 2020 cruise highlights

scubaman

Visit site
Evening All,

At the start of our boating season, like everywhere else, there was much uncertainty of what the summer is going to be like. Some decided to leave their boats into the sheds to wait for better times and some, like us, delayed the launch from the usual to see how things develop. We finally launched the boat mid May and did a few trips to prepare her for our summer holiday which was due to start at end of June.

Despite all that was going on, we managed to have a very pleasant summer onboard our boat and I’m glad we didn’t skip the season.

I put together this short video of some of the highlights from our cruises, which I thought I'd share. Looking forward to the coming summer :)

Hurricane

Visit site
As usual, absolutely stunning video.
I wish I could do stuff like that.
Do you fly the drone and drive the boat or does one of the family do one or the other.
Also on the running shots, do you use any "active tracking" or do you do it manually.
It all seems very smooth.

Just fantastic.

scubaman

Visit site
As usual, absolutely stunning video.
I wish I could do stuff like that.
Do you fly the drone and drive the boat or does one of the family do one or the other.
Also on the running shots, do you use any "active tracking" or do you do it manually.
It all seems very smooth.

Just fantastic.

Thank you, M! It’s one of the family members who gets to do the driving whlist I’m flying the drone. I’ve never really taken the time to test out all the nice features and learn how to best use them, so I just fly manually. I also try to adjust the exposure here and there as the dark water and white boat often throws the automatic setting. A bit of hit and miss...

AndieMac

Visit site
Superb production once again K, excellent cruise speed footage and the added extension into autumn colours at the end.
At one point, the drone was circling around the back of a lighthouse with what appeared to be your boat well offshore? Was this the case? Incredible skill to capture everything in the footage if so!

Being a big fan of SM Productions for many years, I am feeling a bit old after seeing your kids at this age, from only toddlers what seemed like not that long ago:unsure::)

All the best for 2021 to yourself and family, and hope this coming cruise season is a good one.

scubaman

Visit site
Superb production once again K, excellent cruise speed footage and the added extension into autumn colours at the end.
At one point, the drone was circling around the back of a lighthouse with what appeared to be your boat well offshore? Was this the case? Incredible skill to capture everything in the footage if so!

Being a big fan of SM Productions for many years, I am feeling a bit old after seeing your kids at this age, from only toddlers what seemed like not that long ago:unsure::)

All the best for 2021 to yourself and family, and hope this coming cruise season is a good one.

Hi AM, it's been a while :)

Yep, it was our boat in the background, but in reality it was only maybe a couple of hundred meters or something like that away. There are some shallows around the lighthouse and my wife had to steer around them and then come back. The drone transmission range was good for the kilometre or so distance in the open environment.

Yes, the time does seem to fly. My son is soon taller than me and as you said, it only feels like yesterday when they were still babies. We've been very fortunate to have been able to spend so much time on the boat together. There are a lot of great memories.

All the very best also to yourself and let's hope for a good year ahead.

scubaman

Visit site
Thanks VolvoPaul, knock on wood, but she has been very reliable and taken a great care of us.

Thank you for your kind words, everyone, all the best for 2021!

crust

Visit site
Evening All,

At the start of our boating season, like everywhere else, there was much uncertainty of what the summer is going to be like. Some decided to leave their boats into the sheds to wait for better times and some, like us, delayed the launch from the usual to see how things develop. We finally launched the boat mid May and did a few trips to prepare her for our summer holiday which was due to start at end of June.

Despite all that was going on, we managed to have a very pleasant summer onboard our boat and I’m glad we didn’t skip the season.

I put together this short video of some of the highlights from our cruises, which I thought I'd share. Looking forward to the coming summer :)

super vid very uplifting in these uncertain times!

TonyR123

Visit site
really good video. no chance of me matching that!

1: I always drive and fly the drone (dont think I could do 2 at once).
2: Not good enough with drone video footage!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Wow! That was superb, really brightened up a damp, dark lockdown Tuesday here in the UK. The boating part was great, but I enjoyed the opening and closing scenes even more.
I loved the rope bridge between the 2 islands.

What is the usual sea water temperature in mid summer? And was the search and rescue boat your equivalent of a lifeboat or a coastguard vessel?

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post your fab video.

scubaman

Visit site
Thank you again for the kind comments, everyone!

@LJS in the height of the summer, water typically is above 20 degrees and in sheltered bays in warm weather can go up to 23 - 24 degrees. This year was good, it got to around 21 - 22 and we swam more than any of the previous summers we've spent away from the lakes.

Water temperature can be sensitive to winds. For instance, this summer when a strong northerly wind arrived, I witnessed the water temp drop from 22 to 12 in 24 hours! Upwelling brings in cold water from the deep. This tends to level out in a few days when the wind direction changes again though.

The SAR-boat in the vid is a lifeboat, which made way to the visiting ferry and then stayed overnight on the island. They took us by quite a surprise by coming so close. A great excuse to break out the drone :).

NBs

Visit site
Hi, very nice video. Nice to see familiar places with new eyes, how beautiful our Finland is for boaters.

Thank you and awesome boating through 2021 for your family!

NBs

Last edited:

joae

Visit site
Super nice video! Its obvios that you both have the skill for this and put in the effort of doing this kind of production.
Thanks for sharing!

We are on the west coast of Sweden but thinking of visiting Stockholm archipelago via the Gota canal this summer. Any tips?

NBs

Visit site
Super nice video! Its obvios that you both have the skill for this and put in the effort of doing this kind of production.
Thanks for sharing!

We are on the west coast of Sweden but thinking of visiting Stockholm archipelago via the Gota canal this summer. Any tips?

Hej, i think this book is biblia Stockholm argipelago Arholma-Landsort and Gotland. I love Stockholm arcipelgo and many nice "natur hamn"

NBs