VHF use in the Caribbean

keith1506

Visit site
I've just purchased a British registered (SSR) yacht in Grenada which will be my home for about six months out of each year for the next few years. Daily VHF use as a community net is the common practice, so I wonder as she's a British ship but out of UK territorial waters would UK/Ofcom Radio Licence rules apply? I have a valid SRC, but don't believe the boat has a callsign or MMSI. The Ofcom website is no help, and the few of my new neighbours I've been in comms with are of an American persuasion...

Any input welcome (or indeed any tips at all from Caribbean liveaboards)

Tradewinds

Visit site
I've just purchased a British registered (SSR) yacht in Grenada which will be my home for about six months out of each year for the next few years. Daily VHF use as a community net is the common practice, so I wonder as she's a British ship but out of UK territorial waters would UK/Ofcom Radio Licence rules apply? I have a valid SRC, but don't believe the boat has a callsign or MMSI. The Ofcom website is no help, and the few of my new neighbours I've been in comms with are of an American persuasion...

Any input welcome (or indeed any tips at all from Caribbean liveaboards)
I doubt if anyone checks or cares. At least that was my experience years ago.

Visit site
The regs relating to the equipment and its use in your vessel are mostly determined by your country/ flag of registration. That's why the flag is important. In the case therefore of VHF, do what you wish as no one in the UK polices zilch on VHF or radio use!

Bajansailor

Visit site
As per the comments above by Geem, Tradewinds and Capn Sensible - don't worry about it.
In the Eastern Caribbean marine VHF is a bit like a maritime Facebook on VHF - everybody uses it, for all sorts of purposes, and nobody is worried about if you have an English license for the rig on your boat, or not.
Similarly with marine SSB units - the commercial fishermen all treat them like CB radios, and none of them have licenses either.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Certainly not complaining! Have used it myself in accordance with local protocols to......book restaurants, arrange laundry pick up, find out football results. Brilliant morning information nets in Antigua, St Maarten and Shelter Bay, Panama.

Away from stodgy Europe, it's entirely normal to hear fishermen chit chat on the VHF. I don't speak Arabic though so got no idea what the Moroccan lads are on about!

Bilgediver

Visit site
No doubt your boat had a call sign if registered under the UK flag. However most people just use the boat name and no doubt yours has one that is fit for use and easy to spell out phonetically should the occasion arise . It is possible to find the call sign and MMSi on a web site thought difficult if you boat has a popular name.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Certainly not complaining! Have used it myself in accordance with local protocols to......book restaurants, arrange laundry pick up, find out football results. Brilliant morning information nets in Antigua, St Maarten and Shelter Bay, Panama.

Away from stodgy Europe, it's entirely normal to hear fishermen chit chat on the VHF. I don't speak Arabic though so got no idea what the Moroccan lads are on about!
And people moan about radio checks in the Solent!

MADRIGAL

Visit site
. It is possible to find the call sign and MMSi on a web site thought difficult if you boat has a popular name.
Try looking up the ITU Ship Station List. You can enter the name of your yacht and flag administration (use “G” for UK) in the appropriate box and you will get a list of all the UK-flagged vessels with that name. You can narrow it down by category such as “pleasure” and “yacht”, and clicking on each vessel listed will give you the call sign, MMSI, and name of the owner, among other things. As others have said, it may be practically irrelevant, but it might be fun just to know.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
And people moan about radio checks in the Solent!
The Gib Straits are always very busy with VHF traffic, most of it legit, but again a lot of fishermen chit chat. Not so common these days, but the taunting of passing merchant ships by Spanish and Portugese fishermen of 'Fillipino monkey' used to go on all night..

Best ever heard by me though was in the Adriatic. Was delivering a yacht from uk to Croatia, many tides ago. We saw a few warships patrolling, one of them American. On VHF:

'Hey Yankee ship, Yankee ship go home or I cut your throat and drink your blood'

Crew reduced to stitches. ??

Bilgediver

Visit site
Try looking up the ITU Ship Station List. You can enter the name of your yacht and flag administration (use “G” for UK) in the appropriate box and you will get a list of all the UK-flagged vessels with that name. You can narrow it down by category such as “pleasure” and “yacht”, and clicking on each vessel listed will give you the call sign, MMSI, and name of the owner, among other things. As others have said, it may be practically irrelevant, but it might be fun just to know.

Thats the one..... However some can be difficult to relate where details are vague.

Ship Station List