VG Tracker...

Martin_J

Visit site
This thread was about the tracking view rather than about routing tactics.

Looks like the website has been updated again.. The view of the tracker now covers the text at the top that says when the next update is due :(

cherod

Visit site
I think this one has run its course and most of the others are a bit Alex-centric, there are 32 other competitors :)
This thread was about the tracking view rather than about routing tactics.

Looks like the website has been updated again.. The view of the tracker now covers the text at the top that says when the next update is due :(
mine is working fine,, nxt update 21.00

Martin_J

Visit site
Brilliant.. They're acting on feedback. The 'next ranking' update is displayed on a single line above the map so it stayes visible and we've got the full screen button back on both the website and the App.

savageseadog

Visit site
The link to the cartography works on the French version of the official site. As you say, the map on the English version gives 404 error.
Try the link below for the English version of the tracking map...

Corrected Vendee globe English tracker

Unfortunately clicking on the Ranking tab and then back to the map doesn't then work. Best to bookmark the URL until it gets corrected.
................but the English tracker shows French boats

Martin_J

Visit site
Not sure why the updates are not spread evenly through the day but if they were more frequent then competitors would be able to track the whole fleet as well and see when others change course...
By updating less frequently and at set times gives competitors time to change course just after an update without others noticing ...

Updates to the online trackers are at 04h, 08h, 11h, 14h, 17h, 21h (UTC)

cherod

Visit site
Not sure why the updates are not spread evenly through the day but if they were more frequent then competitors would be able to track the whole fleet as well and see when others change course...
By updating less frequently and at set times gives competitors time to change course just after an update without others noticing ...

Updates to the online trackers are at 04h, 08h, 11h, 14h, 17h, 21h (UTC)
do you recon that they do not know where each other are ? do they not all carry AIS ?

Martin_J

Visit site
They do carry AIS and must also transmit from a certain height above the waterline.. So as a competitor you'll know where the nearest ones are.. but other competitors for example 30 or 40 miles on your beam you wouldn't know about..
Although not allowed external information for things like externally calculated routing (e.g. others preparing routing information).. in a lot of offshore racing you are allowed to receive anything that is publically available.

You might therefore expect to be able to see them publically on AIS via Satellite but looks like that is unavailable as well.. So they're running 'in the dark' overnight and between updates and if I were them I'd also try to hold off on some course changes until just after a public tracking update.
Looks like the regularly updated info is there in the tracker when it does update so we do see how long before the update they did make a course change :)

Martin_J

Visit site
If you look on marintraffic.com now you can see the competitors that are within range of the Azores.. Further afield near where Hugo Boss is, you do see other private leisure craft but they're displayed as received by satellite.. I wonder if the organisers just had the competitors removed from public view, but the organisers themselves could be getting position updates from AIS via satellite as well as via the usual Satellite uplink direct from the competitors.

cherod

Visit site
i thot they would be permitted support base / shore side routing ,, would they not have internet thro , eg ., iridium phone , on which to track all ( if required ) ais ?

cherod

Visit site
If you look on marintraffic.com now you can see the competitors that are within range of the Azores.. Further afield near where Hugo Boss is, you do see other private leisure craft but they're displayed as received by satellite.. I wonder if the organisers just had the competitors removed from public view, but the organisers themselves could be getting position updates from AIS via satellite as well as via the usual Satellite uplink direct from the competitors.
i think i saw one of the organisers the other day saying they were getting half hourly updates

Martin_J

Visit site
If you're interested, the Sailing Instructions can be found here..
Link to Sailing instructions and Notice of race.

The Sailing instructions say this is a Cat 0 race - You can find the Offshore Regulations for Cat 0 online and they describe the AIS requirements.

The sailing instructions at the link above includes Appendix 1 where the competitors have to sign to confirm that they have informed their family, technical team, sponsors and suppliers of the 'non-routing' rules as described in the NOR (Notice of Race).

In the Notice of Race section 4.3.1 you will see the bit that says competitors cannot accept any external routing assistance. This includes not receiving any weather files that have had any human intervention or modification since being issued by the official government meteorological organisation.

They can however use any weather information (and those AIS positions) that are publically available.

Martin_J

Visit site
Just noticed. Section 6.4.2 in the NOR says where the skippers can obtain their weather data....

in brief

Skippers will be allowed to
acquire meteorological data under the following conditions:
• If the data are accessible, whether free-of-charge or at a cost, to all Skippers,
without any exclusive rights existing between a data provider and a Skipper or a
group of Skippers;
• If their content is "raw", i.e. as published by an official governmental
meteorological agency, and not modified, prepared or assessed for a Skipper or a
group of Skippers.

cherod

Visit site
And i presume the individual skipper must aquire this / any info direct and not be fed it from support base etc

LePacha

Visit site
Pretty sure the weather and routing is discussed with their teams mainland if I remember correctly previous VG races.