VG technical question.

Allan

Visit site
In the first 24hrs a number of boats have reported problems with sail 'hooks'. Alex Thompson mentioned it and the Art and windows bloke is still in Les Sables d'Olonne having had problems with his. Can anyone tell me what these 'hooks' are? The windows blokes said he couldn't get his genoa down because of it.
Allan

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
In order to reduce compression into the mast, they have a "hook" up at the mast fitting, the hook has a second tiny cord to release it.
Hoist the rolled sail, once it arrives up, it is hooked by the hook; luff tension is then provided by some system down at the tack.
When they want to lower it, pull the tiny cord to release the hook, the sail comes down.
Instead of having about 2X halyard pull compression into the mast (as a normal halyard does when it goes through the sheave and then comes down inside the mast), with the hook it remains about one half.
If the hook works, that is.

edit
google "karver hook", it's a rather common system on those boats.

Allan

Visit site
Many thanks, they look like a good idea, when they are working! I like the idea of using them on reefing lines. I decided not to look at the prices!
Allan

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Another boat, Merci? Had to go up the mast. It too sounds like a hook problem.
Allan

Karver provides a significant number of Imocas rigging components, hooks included: they have just published this page
https://www.karver-systems.com/fr/news/vendee-globe-2020-2021.html

Too long to translate it all, but they suggest that under "a problem with the hook" headings there are different situations; example the case of Amedeo who had to return to LSO, the "hook problem" was indeed a halyard which wrapped around the sail, and after some Herculean pulling eventually broke other mast components.
Just relaying the statement, I personally have no opinion.

Allan

Visit site
Karver provides a significant number of Imocas rigging components, hooks included: they have just published this page
Vendée Globe 2020-2021

Too long to translate it all, but they suggest that under "a problem with the hook" headings there are different situations; example the case of Amedeo who had to return to LSO, the "hook problem" was indeed a halyard which wrapped around the sail, and after some Herculean pulling eventually broke other mast components.
Just relaying the statement, I personally have no opinion.
I agree, perhaps it would be better for the teams to say the problem is with the 'hook system' rather than just the 'hook'. I've read Vendée Globe 2020-2021 which refers to "fake news".
Allan