VG Tactics 2020...

Martin_J

Visit site
Thanks, I found one in the defaults for the Weather Router in OpenCPN (probably a non foil boat) so ran a plot from Medallia's current position to somewhere near Cape Town...
View attachment 102915

We'll see if that turns out to be anywhere close :)
How far ahead is your weather grib? I've not used OpenCPN for weather routing but I guess it freezes the weather at the last known forecast whilst it then continues to calculate the route.
One option is to do a week or so at a time and route to where you want to be at the end of that week ( e.g. for crossing the ITCZ...) whilst the grib is still accurate...

RobbieW

Visit site
How far ahead is your weather grib? I've not used OpenCPN for weather routing but I guess it freezes the weather at the last known forecast whilst it then continues to calculate the route.
One option is to do a week or so at a time and route to where you want to be at the end of that week ( e.g. for crossing the ITCZ...) whilst the grib is still accurate...
It uses the grib for as far out as it can, I used a 10 day forecast. After that it uses a climatology plugin with average winds for date and location. The different colours show which is which

zoidberg

Visit site
I can't speak for hull shapes, but I understand Hugo Boss' foils are optimused for downwind 'blast' reaching in heavy air, while Linked Out and Apivia are optimised more for lighter airs and seas.

Whatever, JLC in Yes We Cam is sailing a 'blinder'.....

Tomahawk

Visit site
Nothing to do with tactics...
Notice how Sam Davies is wearing ear rings on todays news? No one to show them off to yet she still pretties herself up.
(OK, one may argue that that she was about to take a selfie so put them on for the photo, but I doubt it).

zoidberg

Visit site
I notice tonight ( 1830UTC21Nov ) that Linked Out/Ruyant has pulled a notional 30nm ahead of Hugo Boss/Thomson. They're in the same patch of ocean, reporting the same wind, and Hugo Boss is 4kts slower.

'Sandbagging'....?