VG Tactics 2020...

RobbieW

Visit site
There's also the back 1/3, roughly, who are trapped in light winds now, Pip is currently doing 2-3 kts. They need to do about 200Nm to get to the TS which is now diminishing. Perhaps the slingshot the leaders are getting now will diminish as they come out the other side of the TS. Looks like they have to grin a bear it as there seems little point in heading E or W to get better winds.

Martin_J

Visit site
Indeed... a bit of luck to get you through that.. but if the leaders all take a similar converged path there will not be too much difference and the safer way through.

It would be quite risky to take a flyer to one side east or west just dependent on your weather forecasts/routing...

Anyone behind the leaders though could suddenly find a path around if the leaders drop into light winds.. Not much rest ahead as every breath of wind will help.

cherod

Visit site
i see the fast guys ( foilers ) already have a bit of W in their course but Cam is still due S ,, forecast for 3 / 4 days ahead is all easterlies , bit of wind far west but long way round,, would not be surprised to see Le Cam keeping it a bit East (y) . and maybe AT follow him again if he has not gone too far west by then .

cherod

Visit site
Alex with a 40 mile lead and building, whilst I am firmly in the anti-brexit camp I want to see an English sailor win this race so badly !!
not sure where you get the 40 miles from , it was 26 this morn and downn now to 20 ,, Le Cam has gained 6 mils in the last 4 hours

Little Dorrit

Visit site
It appears Yes We Cam took a track closer to the centre of the depression and has benefited from the stronger winds. Appears Alex has one eye on the finger of light winds (doldrums?) which are extending West from the coast of Africa. Time will tell.

Last edited:

RobbieW

Visit site
It'll be interesting to see whether the 4 boats currently going in toward the eye of Theta come out ahead of the boats staying further west. In the lead group they appear to be trying to ride the ridge of slightly stronger winds running out to the west and bridge the hole to the south of them. Unfortunately for the later boats that hole gets bigger as time goes by.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Alex has 110nm separation from JLC now. Up from 40 12 hrs ago. Had JLC been able to keep pace with Alex he would be behind him on the leaderboard.

Martin_J

Visit site
how are you measuring that distance ,, i can not get the symbol to " drag " ?

Hi..I assume you have clicked on the lower icon on the right. The wiggly dotted line with small crosses at the ends.
Then it's a click and drag.... Don't try to click each end of where you want to measure.

cherod

Visit site
T Y ,, on the AT / Boss page it is the second up like ruler markings ( first being a lightening bolt thingy ) when i click on it is shows " distance measurement drag etc " but will not move , a round symbol will drag but does not do anything ,...

cherod

Visit site
i see Charal is back home now, i wonder if he can make up the 5 days ,,, looks like Finetre is having a hard time .

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Anyone got a polar for an Imoca 60 that they can share, foiling or not ?
Polars.png.1f8a09d823dfdcfe832ddc7ad9d05757.png
It's not my work but this is from Boris' data feed.

RobbieW

Visit site
Thanks, I found one in the defaults for the Weather Router in OpenCPN (probably a non foil boat) so ran a plot from Medallia's current position to somewhere near Cape Town...
1605378193693.png

We'll see if that turns out to be anywhere close :)

Other threads that may be of interest