Vetus wiper wiring problem

pompeydave

Visit site
Hi all, I've just added two wiper motors, arms and blades to my Raider 18. I now have three identical Vetus motors all running through a new single Vetus two speed switch which is the correct one for the motors. My problem is that although the wipers all come on perfectly well and will switch to the faster second speed also, when I turn the switch to the off position the wipers keep going and will only stop if I cut the power from the main supply. Each wire from each motor is wired in together correctly i.e. 1,1,1, 2,2,2, 3,3,3, G,G,G. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong please?

pvb

Visit site
I'd guess that the wipers are not all operating in sync, so the self-parking switch is being over-ridden by another motor's switch. The self-parking switch in the motor is in connection 1, and allows the motor to keep going until the end of its arc. Not sure how you could fix this - maybe diodes?

pompeydave

Visit site
Yes, I wondered if the self parking circuit was the problem. Just occasionally they will suddenly stop and I think it might be thats because they synch up briefly allowing all three to stop at the end of a sweep. I suppose the way to test the theory is to disconnect two motors and see if the remaining one self parks on its own ok.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
This is a typical circuit for a self parking wiper motor.

54cab35569c9d_-_wipers_04_630_1110-de.jpg

Where you have 3 driven from the same switch you need a separate contact in the high and low power supply to each motor otherwise you will get power feed from one motor park contact to another as pvb said.

A way to solve this is to have a relay between the operation switch and each motor with a seperate relay contact for each motor

pompeydave

Visit site
Ah right, many thanks for that. I'm not all that well clued up on electrics but I think I see what you're saying. So if I source 3 x 12v marine grade relays and wire them in between the operation switch and each motor, they *should* run independently and self park?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
You only need a single relay with 3 seperate poles one pole for each motor.

You may need a second to the high speed motor feed dependent on the exact wiring of the motor.

I generally use a 11 pin relay like this with a plug in base.

cefco_6013-9012_0040_b57dc5fc2ad9182a4c35632aca94d0cb.jpg

rogerthebodger

Visit site
This is another way that self parking wipers are wired.

wiper.gif

This shows a 2 pole 3 position switch and if I remember correctly the vetus switch is single pole 3 position.

Vetus is the type of wiper switch I have

pvb

Visit site
Yes, I wondered if the self parking circuit was the problem. Just occasionally they will suddenly stop and I think it might be thats because they synch up briefly allowing all three to stop at the end of a sweep. I suppose the way to test the theory is to disconnect two motors and see if the remaining one self parks on its own ok.

Your simplest solution, as I suggested in post 2, is to use diodes. You need to insert a diode with around 5A capacity in each of the wires between the B terminal of the switch and connection 1 on the second and third motors. After the first motor self-parks, the other two motors will each self-park.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Your simplest solution, as I suggested in post 2, is to use diodes. You need to insert a diode with around 5A capacity in each of the wires between the B terminal of the switch and connection 1 on the second and third motors. After the first motor self-parks, the other two motors will each self-park.

That's another way of doing the same think as with a relay.

pvb

Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
No, that wouldn't work. The motors are continuing to run through the self-park circuit after power has been removed from either the slow-speed or high-speed connections. Feeding those slow-speed or high-speed connections via a relay won't achieve the desired result.

Well I know it will as I have done this more times than I wish to remember.

If as you say my solution will not achieve the desired result please explain in detail so the OP and others can understand why it wont work.

I am sure if I have contravened this forum's ruling the moderator will contact me or maybe you have already reported me so we will see.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
No, that wouldn't work. The motors are continuing to run through the self-park circuit after power has been removed from either the slow-speed or high-speed connections. Feeding those slow-speed or high-speed connections via a relay won't achieve the desired result.
That is correct. I've just opened up the wiper motor control on an ancient Lucas wiper motor because it had stopped self parking and stopped fast wiping. Once I had opened it up and worked out how it works, I was able to reconfigure it with new wires so I have slow and fast action and can, at least, park it manually.

Richard

Reactions: pvb