Vendee Globe v Jules Verne Gitana trackers

caiman

Visit site
Sorry to create another VG thread but this is just some quick questions.
On the VG tracker,there is an 'exclusion zone' around the Antarctic which does not appear on the JVG tracker(JVG not started yet but the tracker is on standby).Does anyone know why?The 'orca exclusion zone' is marked on both.
On the VG tracker,the 'theoretical route' is some 200 miles North of Kerguelan,yet on the JVG tracker,the 'theoretical route' is some 250 miles South of Kerguelan.Again,does anyone know why?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

flaming

Visit site
Sorry to create another VG thread but this is just some quick questions.
On the VG tracker,there is an 'exclusion zone' around the Antarctic which does not appear on the JVG tracker(JVG not started yet but the tracker is on standby).Does anyone know why?The 'orca exclusion zone' is marked on both.
On the VG tracker,the 'theoretical route' is some 200 miles North of Kerguelan,yet on the JVG tracker,the 'theoretical route' is some 250 miles South of Kerguelan.Again,does anyone know why?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
The exclusion zone on the VG tracker is the ice exclusion zone. Boats may not go South of the line. If they do they must retrace their track and cross the line at, or west of, their entry point.

The Jules Verne has no such rules. How far south to go and how much ice to risk is entirely a decision for the skipper.

flaming

Visit site
Thanks for the answer(y)
How about the 'theroretical routes' ?
Thanks again.
Cheers
Just a "vaguely this way" kind of guide. Not all who are following the tracker will understand how RTW races work. I would expect the JV to be south of the VG though. The VG ice limit is pretty far north this year. Because of the ice situation. Might make the JV quite stressful in the South though.

macad

Visit site
There is no official event organiser for the Jules Verne so no controlling body to be required to accept a risk/responsibility or potential cost of any rescue as is the case with the VG.

To enter the JV a sizable fee is paid to an association (possibly still under Olivier de Kersauson's control but I am not certain) which grants access to the Jules Verne Trophy copyright and silverware. They do not however 'own' the outright sailing around the world record. There have been a number of holders of the record who were not holders of the Jules Verne Trophy – and conversely, not all holders of the Jules Verne Trophy will be the fastest around the planet but only the fastest trophy holder.

I am fairly sure that when MacArthur (B&Q/Castorama tri) set the fastest time around 15 years ago, she was not 'entered' into the Jule Verne and therefore not classified for the JV Trophy.

The suggested route is a theoretical practical one that takes an average of the likely weather and the shortest distance – there will be many times the shortest most southerly route would actually be slower because the weather weather systems would give headwinds further south – an interesting aside, when Mich Desj won his first VG he pretty much stayed close to the 40º south line while others dived up and down and lost out as a consequence.

flaming

Visit site
There is no official event organiser for the Jules Verne so no controlling body to be required to accept a risk/responsibility or potential cost of any rescue as is the case with the VG.

To enter the JV a sizable fee is paid to an association (possibly still under Olivier de Kersauson's control but I am not certain) which grants access to the Jules Verne Trophy copyright and silverware. They do not however 'own' the outright sailing around the world record. There have been a number of holders of the record who were not holders of the Jules Verne Trophy – and conversely, not all holders of the Jules Verne Trophy will be the fastest around the planet but only the fastest trophy holder.

I am fairly sure that when MacArthur (B&Q/Castorama tri) set the fastest time around 15 years ago, she was not 'entered' into the Jule Verne and therefore not classified for the JV Trophy.

The suggested route is a theoretical practical one that takes an average of the likely weather and the shortest distance – there will be many times the shortest most southerly route would actually be slower because the weather weather systems would give headwinds further south – an interesting aside, when Mich Desj won his first VG he pretty much stayed close to the 40º south line while others dived up and down and lost out as a consequence.

Ellen didn't set the fastest time, she set the fastest SOLO time. JV is fastest, full stop. So Ellen, even if she had been entered would not have won the JV as her time of 71 days was considerably slower than the then record of 63 days.

The only boat who has held the outright record without paying to be a JV contender since the JV was dreamt up was Steve Fosset's Cheyenne. Mostly I seem to recall because he fell out with the JV committee amid rumours they were requesting a higher fee from him than from other boats. And since he was funding it all himself he did what he wanted. These days you'd struggle to get a sponsor to fund a RTW attempt without the added PR of the JV.

caiman

Visit site
flaming and macad
Thanks for the replies and information.I realise that the routes are theroretical routes,I just wondered why there is a 500 odd mile latitude difference between them in the Kerguelan area,which has been answered for me.
Looks like there might be a 'start' for the JV in a couple of days time.
Even though they are different kinds of boat,and in a different kind of race,it will be interesting(all things permitting)to see when(if) the VG leaders will be passed by Gitana.
All interesting stuff.
Thanks again.
Cheers.

flaming

Visit site
Gitana were looking to start on Wednesday, but they've just canned that. When they were they were talking about passing AT before Cape Town. Yes they would have much better conditions at the start than the VG had, but that is still staggering...!

macad

Visit site
My mistake, yes Ellen's was solo, I miss recalled her attempt which dismasted (Kingfisher 2, ex Orange cat) was an attempt not within JV participation.

Cheers

caiman

Visit site
flaming-Any news on when thy might set off?
More questions-On the thread about the unfortunate capsize of a Cat, resulting in the loss of life over in Scuttlebutt,,there is mention of OSCAR, which is a detection system for 'floating objects' based on a camera.This appears to have a range(currently) of 500m which would give a 50 second ish warning of a floating object at 20K.This,I'm told,is fitted to some Vendee Globe boats
Do you know what Gitana will be using(,which we know will be doing nearer to 40K )?I was under the impression that they used forward looking sonar?A poster over there suggests that FLSonar would have insufficient range and excessive power consumption.The other question being,where would they mount the 'transducer'?In the foils?
Once again,thanks for your help.
Cheers
Edit-Another question,how does Gitana generate electrical power for instruments etc?On board generator?Purely by Solar?Fuel Cell?Towed?
Sorry for being a pain.
Cheers

Last edited:

ridgy

Visit site
Some of those questions are answered on the gitana-team.com website though you have to dig a bit. Diesel/wind generators for a start .

flaming

Visit site
flaming-Any news on when thy might set off?
More questions-On the thread about the unfortunate capsize of a Cat, resulting in the loss of life over in Scuttlebutt,,there is mention of OSCAR, which is a detection system for 'floating objects' based on a camera.This appears to have a range(currently) of 500m which would give a 50 second ish warning of a floating object at 20K.This,I'm told,is fitted to some Vendee Globe boats
Do you know what Gitana will be using(,which we know will be doing nearer to 40K )?I was under the impression that they used forward looking sonar?A poster over there suggests that FLSonar would have insufficient range and excessive power consumption.The other question being,where would they mount the 'transducer'?In the foils?
Once again,thanks for your help.
Cheers
Edit-Another question,how does Gitana generate electrical power for instruments etc?On board generator?Purely by Solar?Fuel Cell?Towed?
Sorry for being a pain.
Cheers
I don't know the answer to what they are using, I'd just be googling...!

Oscar is fitted to some VG boats. Interviews I've seen the skippers seem to be treating it as a "might as well" rather than the silver bullet to the problem of UFO strikes. After all if the skipper is asleep or busy fixing something in the bottom of the boat when the alarm goes off they have precious little chance of reacting in time to asses the situation and take avoiding action.