Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

newtothis

Visit site
Bestaven appears to have got himself stuck in a high pressure system. Dalin has taken almost 200 miles off his lead these past two days and is likely to make even more gains looking at the weather file over the next 24 hours.

I predict that Apivia will get line honours and it will be tight to see if Bestaven can win overall allowing for his time allowance in the PRB rescue.
I was surprised Bestaven headed up the coast like that; he seemed to be heading into the mid-Atlantic to follow the same weather system Dalin is riding but the next 24-36 hours don't seem to offer a lot of wind for him.

matt1

Visit site
Meanwhile Hugo Boss has departed Cape Town. Sailing home?

Which makes me doubt the rumour a few posts back that she had catastrophic damage to the hull and the rudder damage was a blessing in disguise. He’s still waxing lyrical about his beautiful boat which means she is either for sale or he isn’t about to retire any time soon

Frogmogman

Visit site
Sad and worrying news for Isabelle joschke.

She has sailed a blinder of a race until her retirement yesterday, having been as high as 5th place in the Pacific; to be out due to a technical failure with the most demanding part of the race behind her is a bitter pill.

The idea of being mid ocean in gale force winds and big seas, with the keel swinging about like a pendulum under the boat, must be very frightening.

Fingers crossed that she gets through this storm OK and manages to make her way to a safe haven in one piece.

Nimrod18

Visit site
Agreed re Joschke. She’s done remarkably well to keep in the peloton since her initial keel issue prevented her tilting it. Her ordeal might be far from over though - race director appears to be taking this very seriously and assisting her routing by seemingly keeping her pointed dead downwind in the depression to stop the keel swinging. That sorts getting out of immediate danger, but she still has to make port somewhere whilst carrying the same fault (unless she can jury rig a fix?)

Pip Hare‘s seems to be holding onto the pair ahead of her after her rudder fix, though her speed has been up and down a bit. Visually assessed from the tracker she’s been between 40 ish and 70 ish miles astern. Any clues? I hope she’s not disheartened by Charal overhauling her - that was inevitable; really want to see she claw back her former lead on the pair ahead.

newtothis

Visit site
Anyone else notice that Charie Dalin has taken the lead again for the first time in a few thousand miles? Chapeau.
Made the right call with the weather for now.
But amazing that after 23k miles there are still only 20 miles between the top two and only 400 miles between the top 10.
Turning out to be quite an interesting race.

muppetdodger1

Visit site
Surely those with time bonus's from Escoffiers demise and rescue must be in with a shout now. Long way to go but Bestaven and Le Cam must be in with a shout.

Skellum

Visit site
Anybody notice how Burton has come back from being up his mast at Macquarie Island and 700 miles behind to just 20 odd miles off the lead - he’s really got the bit between his teeth. Right now it’s shaping up to be an excellent race with so many boats in with a shout. I guess the concern is that the newer boats (Apivia and Linked Out) get to stretch their legs once into the trades.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Yainc has overtaken Charlie in the last 6hours by.... 2 miles..
So that’s the width of the solent after how many miles?
The final bit is going to be all on...no chance to sleep for fear of loosing speed but fatigue opening the door for errors.

ridgy

Visit site
I hope that is the explanation or else she is doing something odd. Looks like 8 miles hard on the wind and now going the wrong way.

Edit: She is serving a 2.5h penalty for losing a liferaft over the side.

Last edited: